PDA

View Full Version : the explosion of fish in online poker

jfresh
09-19-2003, 02:38 PM
i've read in a few posts where people have said, regarding online poker, to get while the gettin's good, the fish aren't going to last forever. how long do you guys think this is going to last? are we on the upswing or downswing regarding number of players?

lefty rosen
09-19-2003, 02:47 PM
Definately on the upswing, it's no different then the way computers have inched their way into the modern household.

Inthacup
09-19-2003, 02:49 PM
I'm a pretty pessimistic person, but I think online poker is still on the upswing. PartyPoker's numbers have been steadily increasing over the past month. It's not uncommon to see 17,000 players during peak hours. The fact that the WPT is in repeats certainly helps keep the exposure up.

I think once season 2 airs, we will once again see a surge in players. I don't think it will be as big in percentage, but it will certainly add a few thousand new players.

Pretzel
09-19-2003, 03:58 PM
There is an article in this weeks Sports Illustrated about poker and how it is becoming so popular. It mentions PartyPoker specifically at least once and online poker in general a couple times. This can't hurt the inflow of fish.

Pretzel

JayCo
09-19-2003, 04:03 PM
I think Cup is right on re: WPT Year 2. This kind of explosive growth is tough to maintain forever, but fun while it lasts, huh?

Similar thread from last week...

Thread: Career Internet Players (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=336250&page=11&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

jasonHoldEm
09-19-2003, 05:07 PM
I agree with the others, I expect things to remain good for at least the next year, maybe longer (especially if the WPT gets moved to a bigger network). There are some hurdles we must clear between now and then (funding bill), but I believe the game is getting to popular for the government to stop it at this point.

I just hope it lasts long enough for me to build a solid roll for 10/20, er...make that 20/40...nah, how about 30/60? Yeah, when I can have a 300 BB roll for 30/60, that's when I won't care anymore. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jHE

crockpot
09-19-2003, 05:08 PM
i think it's possible this may be a cyclical thing. with the increasing exposure of WPT and WSOP coverage, we may see further upswings when new episodes of those are released, or when WPT gets on a bigger network.

SwordFish
09-20-2003, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
or when WPT gets on a bigger network

[/ QUOTE ]

The Travel Channel signed a deal a while back that gives them exclusive rights to the WPT for the next six years if they choose to excercise the options. So they also agree the market is on the upswing.

I also think that in addition to bringing in new players, the new WPT season will encourage the fish that busted out to rebuy. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

SF