PDA

View Full Version : 5/10 Pot Limit Holdem Hand with KK

jkinetic
09-19-2003, 09:12 AM
5/10 Pot Limit Holdem...

2 people limp in, UTG and a middle position player. UTG is a very readable player. I wake up with KK and call the 10 and raise the pot, 40, in the cut off. The Button cold calls 50 and the SB calls the 50 and the BB mucks.

Flop comes up a beautiful J, 7, 3 rainbow well at least I thought it was beautiful.

The small blind goes all in with his last 100. UTG, who I said was very readable thought for a while and called. I put him on K,J or Q,J. The middle position player mucks.

I have 300 in front of me, so I call the 100 and raise my remaining 200. The cutoff then mucks, the SB is already all in for his last 100.

UTG is the only one left, so it is 200 to him and since the remaining players are all in, he can't lose anymore than the 200 to call.

UTG says to me, "You wouldn't raise your last 200 without the joint!!!" and then proceeds to show his AJ and then muck his hand, I couldn't believe it.

I take back my 200 buck raise since the SB was all for 100 and we both turn over our hands.

SB has 7,6 suited. The dealer burns and turns....

Boom, 6 on the turn, rag on the river and SB takes it down with 2 pair.

Now in retrospect, I was thinking maybe I should've just smooth called to trap UTG on the flop and then go all in on the turn or let him take the lead on the turn since the lead bettor on the flop went all in and then I lower the boom behind him. Or should I have protected the pot as I did?

Now I understand I would have lost to the SB, the all in, no matter what but I could have still got 200 from UTG in a side pot.

Depraved
09-19-2003, 01:19 PM
The pot's become so big; why risk being outdrawn by AJ? Maybe this logic is too simple, but I believe in its validity. I doubt there are lots of players who would lay down AJ on the flop for 200, but then call 200 on the turn just because you smoothcalled a flop all-in bet. Thus, the risk vs. reward of smoothcalling the flop is not in your favor. Not to mention, what could you be smoothcalling with anyway? AK? No way. Only a strong hand would make that call, and a half-observant player will notice this. However, if this was a read you had on your opponent, it trumps everything I just said, right? Absent that read, I's say your best bet is just to protect the pot.

King_J
09-19-2003, 03:19 PM
IMO that was a superb move. Now AJ got a tough decision.

Nice played!

tewall
09-19-2003, 03:24 PM
I think you played this hand fine, but it sounds like you want to be sure to be throwing some bluffs in UTG's direction (when it's just you and him).