PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate online poker. (the real reasons).

Joe Tall
09-19-2003, 08:54 AM
Just some things that only can happen online vs. Real Life (I play 50/50 online/RL).

You have found the prefect table. 2 LAGS, 3 call stations, 1 full blown tilt maniac, 1 'any-two cards can win', 2 break-even-ok players seated perfectly...you rub your hands together, mouth watering...

AND 3-PEOPLE GET UP BEFORE YOU CAN POST AND THE GAME BREAKS!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It's now 1:00AM, you found a great table. You are pounding the table into the ground. You are tired and have to work the next day. You say to yourself, "last orbit", you play up to UTG+1, waiting to play UTG and...

THE BB GETS UP AND NOW YOU ARE THE BB! 'One more orbit!' /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. (Same table as 2) You win a few more hands, you are up 50BBs. /images/graemlins/smile.gif..it's 3AM and you say, "I've got to get to work in 4 hours, LAST HAND!" You get delt AA !!!

AND YOU GET SNAPPED OFF BY SOME 2-OUTER!! Argh! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

4. (Same table as 2 & 3) It's now 4AM, you've recovered the 10BBs from the AA hand. It's your last hand you get dealt AA again.

AND YOU GET DISSCONNECTED! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Just had to vent. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peace,
LarryJoe

Mangatang
09-19-2003, 09:22 AM
I have the exact same problem. I keep telling myself that I'm going to bed early so I won't be a zombie the next day at work. I turn auto-post off and wait for the big blind to come to me so I can leave the table, then I say just one more round. Then it's 3:00 AM and my alarm goes off at 5:15.

I have a solution though... Longer days. Who ever said 24 hour days were optimum anyway? I say we build gigantic towers all along the equator with tons of heavy lead at the top of each one. Moving weight to the outside of the earth's circumference should slow down the rotation of the earth (much like a ice skater use her arms to slow down a spin). Just think, if we had 30 hour days, that would be 6 extra hours to play poker each night, and still get a good night's sleep for work the next day. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

whiskeytown
09-19-2003, 10:06 AM
the energy released by slowing the earth's rotation would cause the seas to boil and evaporate - bad idea..

may I suggest a safer route....take uppers and illicit drugs to stay awake for 3 days... /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

whiskeytown
09-19-2003, 10:07 AM
Party Poker is horrible about this...

you got to a table - 7 players are sitting out, and there's an 8 player waiting list...I mean, CMON - [censored] or get off the pot.

RB

Joe Tall
09-19-2003, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a solution though... Longer days. Who ever said 24 hour days were optimum anyway? I say we build gigantic towers all along the equator with tons of heavy lead at the top of each one. Moving weight to the outside of the earth's circumference should slow down the rotation of the earth (much like a ice skater use her arms to slow down a spin).

[/ QUOTE ]

A modified system of the Hancock tower in Boston, where the 50th floor is just a 25k lead weight that shifts along rails, keeping the the windows from shooting off onto Bolyston St as the wind blows.

[ QUOTE ]
Just think, if we had 30 hour days, that would be 6 extra hours to play poker each night, and still get a good night's sleep for work the next day.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I think we would live longer, too. This is definately a +EV situation.

Peace,
LJ

Elwayguy
09-19-2003, 10:42 AM
Or....you start a $3 tournament about 10PM, 1000 people enter, you do well, next thing you know it is 3 am, you come in 50th, win 3 bucks, waste 5 hours!

Dentist
09-19-2003, 11:06 AM
Sleep is such a waste of time.....
Think how much of your life you waste while having to sleep - I hate it... yet i know it's essential....

the only real thing beds are good for is........

tiltboy
09-19-2003, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
THE BB GETS UP AND NOW YOU ARE THE BB! 'One more orbit!'

[/ QUOTE ]
Not me baby, I NEVER have auto post blinds clicked for this very reason.

Joe Tall
09-19-2003, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh so YOU'RE the one grinding the game to a halt!!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Only kidding /images/graemlins/grin.gif,
LJF33

Simon Diamond
09-19-2003, 12:43 PM
Or....you start a $3 tournament about 10PM, 1000 people enter, you do well, next thing you know it is 3 am, you come in 50th, win 3 bucks, waste 5 hours!

Could not agree more - there are some sadists out there that do enjoy it evidently.

Simon

ninja please
09-19-2003, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh so YOU'RE the one grinding the game to a halt!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

i've had similar troubles to all of your points, except #2, which has a simple solution -- just uncheck auto-post blinds when you decide it's your last orbit -- and force yourself not to hit the "post BB" button when it comes up, no matter how much you've gone up or down since the decision.

being strict with myself on that count has saved me several hours of sleep.

good post.

tiltboy
09-19-2003, 03:08 PM
Believe it or not, there are many people who play online poker with play money.

I for one was absolutely addicted to IRC.Poker for a couple of years.

Adde
09-19-2003, 03:21 PM
just uncheck auto-post blinds when you decide it's your last orbit

This is great stuff! Ninja, I owe you MANY_SESSIONS x ONE_BB. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ninja please
09-19-2003, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just uncheck auto-post blinds when you decide it's your last orbit

This is great stuff! Ninja, I owe you MANY_SESSIONS x ONE_BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't quite tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but if not, remember to follow the second part of my suggestion -- you must make sure you press "sit out" and not "post BB" when the time comes. trust me, the temptation will be great... "ah, just one more time around", especially if youve made or lost much money in the last few hands. but stick to this advice and you will be in bed at a (slightly more) reasonable hour, plus save yourself 1 or 1.5 BB a night. of course, if you sit out, be sure to leave the table immediately, or you will very likely see the new BB get dealt AA and vow never to quit UTG again.

Simon Diamond
09-19-2003, 04:09 PM
I was the same, but the novelty wore off soon enough.

Some people take play money extremely seriously don't they? I'm not criticising, just from a personal standpoint I cannot see the point. We are all different I suppose.

Simon

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Re: #2, when you say to yourself, "last orbit", uncheck the *autopost blind* box. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Adde
09-19-2003, 04:40 PM
can't quite tell if you are being sarcastic or not

No, I wasn't sarcastic, I absolutely love the trick! It will easily save me a couple of hundred bucks a year. Feels kinda stupid I didn't come to think of it myself, but with the results on hand, the solution itself was too easy for me to find it. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ChipWrecked
09-19-2003, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if we had 30 hour days, that would be 6 extra hours to play poker each night

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife would still complain.

Dialogue from last night:

Wife: You're such a card slut.
Self: We prefer 'bonus whore', thanks. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

bigfishead
09-19-2003, 05:32 PM
While playing at Lucky Chances a few years ago, I was up for a table change to a better lineup, and Dennis Callahan the Floorman at the time comes over to tell me. I rack up, stand up and the dealer deals me in. Dennis says "dont look". Well naturally I show him AA and we go CRAAAAAACK! He laughs, I laugh, I say never again. When I say I am done it matters not what seat I am in. .....Well...I'll take the button.