PDA

View Full Version : Hey z, You Buying These Cues?

HDPM
09-19-2003, 01:10 AM
Here's some cues in your price range. Is your Balabuska like this one? web page (http://www.pooltablemagic.com/cues/cuescrypt.htm)

I've seen a few on the web for between 7500 and 15000. Which seems steep even as collectable as they are. But 50 K? And the prices on the Szambotis seem totally ridiculous.

I think I'll give this to HDPW for my X-Mas list then work down and settle for a Josswest, Rolex, and high end .45 and tell her I'm cheap. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Phat Mack
09-19-2003, 01:08 PM
More than ten years ago, there were a lot of wealthy Japanese collectors driving the price of cues up. They disappeared when their economy went south, and I haven't heard of them reappearing. I find the prices on this page, therefore, suspect.

IMO, the only collectables that play worth a damn are the Szambotis (the father, not the son). Steer HDPW towards them...

Ray Zee
09-19-2003, 01:59 PM
no my bal. is a lot more simple. just colored prongs and ebony butt with ivory cap. leather wrap. it was built in the 60,s for me. at that time there were no bal. cues that i ever saw that were so ornate. i believe they had to be later ones built when szamboni worked for him or complete forgeries. or szamboni cues masquarading as original bal. cues. i was there back then and thats the way it was.

HDPM
09-19-2003, 02:22 PM
Your cue sounds almost identical to the only balabushka I have seen. A former NY player with one moved to Denver and played where I did. The cue was a simple 4 point with a used and abused leather wrap. I would guess there are a lot of forgeries out there. I knew some guys with Adams cues from the early-mid 70's that were mistaken for bals. They never tried to pass them off, but I bet some others did. They were a little more ornate with the MOP inlays etc....

HDPM
09-19-2003, 02:33 PM
Yeah, the prices seem out of whack. No cue is worth what they're asking. I don't care how good a Szamboti may be, I just can't see spending that on a cue. I can see spending too much on cues I don't need at all, but those prices are ridiculous. I would much rather have more modern cues custom made for less money. I'd rather have the one of a kind that someone may or may not want in 30 years. Someday I'll get a Josswest just because I like them. I have no need for one. I will also waste money on others, but I don't see bushkas or szambotis in my future. I got a custom cue last spring for a small fraction of the price of collectible cues. It is a one of a kind hand made custom that is usable for both pool and billiards. It plays great and I won't see another like it. It is kind of nice having a cue that is really YOURS. I might consider another cue or two from that maker. He is doing some interesting stuff like a new high-quality 3 piece that fits in regular luggage given the new FAA regs and some butterfly point stuff that is kind of neat. He caters more to billiard players though so I doubt his work will ever get very famous. The cue he made me has unbelievable balance and hit. And no 5 year wait like for a Southwest or something. Call the guy, discuss specs, he starts the lathe. You get one in a few months. I still miss everything I shoot at tho.