PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what I did wrong Please!

Sorak
09-18-2003, 06:52 PM
OK. Here is the hand history. I am Sorak, obviously.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hand #432461-785 at Bray ($.01/$.02 Hold'em)
Powered by UltimateBet
Started at 18/Sep/03 18:46:51

UncleJoe2 is at seat 0 with $1.01.
River City is at seat 1 with $1.85.
mukoh is at seat 2 with $.33.
omogie is at seat 3 with $.31.
littlepickle is at seat 4 with $1.39.
smogdog is at seat 5 with $1.78 (sitting out).
Sorak is at seat 6 with $.90.
theirrigator is at seat 7 with $.62.
Tory is at seat 8 with $.67.
torydutton is at seat 9 with $1.29.
The button is at seat 7.

Tory posts the small blind of $.01.
torydutton posts the big blind of $.01.

UncleJoe2: -- --
River City: -- --
mukoh: -- --
omogie: -- --
littlepickle: -- --
Sorak: As 6s
theirrigator: -- --
Tory: -- --
torydutton: -- --

Pre-flop:

UncleJoe2 folds. River City calls. mukoh calls.
omogie folds. littlepickle calls. Sorak calls.
theirrigator calls. Tory checks. torydutton checks.

Flop (board: 6d Qd 6h):

Tory checks. torydutton checks. River City checks.
mukoh checks. littlepickle bets $.01. Sorak raises
to $.02. theirrigator folds. Tory folds.
torydutton folds. River City calls. mukoh folds.
littlepickle re-raises to $.03. Sorak calls. River
City calls.

Turn (board: 6d Qd 6h Ts):

River City checks. littlepickle bets $.02. Sorak
raises to $.04. River City calls. littlepickle
re-raises to $.06. Sorak re-raises to $.08. River
City calls. littlepickle calls.

River (board: 6d Qd 6h Ts 9c):

River City checks. littlepickle bets $.02. Sorak
calls. River City folds.

Showdown:

littlepickle shows 6c Qs.
littlepickle has 6c Qs 6d Qd 6h: full house, sixes full of queens.
Sorak mucks cards.
(Sorak has As 6s.)

Hand #432461-785 Summary:

No rake is taken for this hand.
littlepickle wins $.44 with full house, sixes full of queens.
------------------------------------------------------------

I had seen ther person play very loose hands prior and the entire table was loose. I didn't put him on Qs because of his preflop play and had him on 6x because of his previous play and betting. Did I just get beat or is there a glaring error here?

Thanks for your help.

Sorak

Mike
09-18-2003, 07:05 PM
Repeat 20 times and you will feel better: Poker _is_ gambling, I am not going to win every good hand. Losing is a normal part of play.

You did all right, unless I am missing something obvious, losing is just part of the game. If you could win em all, I wouldn't be playing, neither would most others.

Sorak
09-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Thanks. I guess I am just a complete newbie and keep having my rear end handed do me. Everytime I seem to bet hard I lose. It seems to happen no matter what hand I have.

huzitup2
09-20-2003, 07:33 AM
I would have lost an additional two bets - I am almost certain I would have raised the river.

With no preflop raise you should have the best hand, AND your raise will almost always be payed off when you do.

Ironic, isn't it ?

The one mistake you made (mistake IMO) saved you two bets.

How can anyone NOT love this game ? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Better luck,

- H

huzitup2
09-20-2003, 07:39 AM
Do NOT expect to see an end to this type of "bad beat" when you move up.

I've seen trip 6s/Ace kicker beaten by trip 6s/Queen kicker at every limit I've ever played at (1-2 thru 20-40).

It may happen less often at higher levels, but be assured it WILL (has, and will continue to) happen at ALL levels.

- H

Uppercut
09-20-2003, 11:24 PM
Just curious, but how can anyone really care about a game in which the bets are 1 and 2 cents each? If you average a win of 1BB per hour, that means you will be up one dollar after 50 hours of play. Does anyone actually fold their hands pre-flop so as to save a penny? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

MrDannimal
09-21-2003, 01:43 AM
Think of it from his shoes. He flopped the boat and bet out the flop (the pre-flop call is loose, but it's penny poker. Get used to it). He was raised, and the only hand he's behind is QQ (which should raise pre-flop). He 3-bets and is just called. Gotta think QQ would have capped there, he says.

Turn is a rag, and aside from giving TT a better boat, he's still ahead. He bets out, is raised by the same guy (he can now put you on trip 6s, I think), he 3-bets again and NOW it's capped. Gotta call here, even if you do have TT (which you don't).

River is another rag, and he bets out again and you just call (which means he knows he's good).

My point is, try to think of why your opponent is choosing to put HIS money into THIS pot. He re-raised you on the flop, then bet out and re-raised you again on the turn. At some point you need to think he's not worried about a 3rd 6.

The only thing I'd have done differently would be to just call the 3-bet.

rayrns
09-21-2003, 10:14 AM
Yes that is exactly what I did at those limits. Try to learn the proper starting hands etc. If you count them as just 1 bet and 2 bets instead of .01 & .02 you can then look at how it would compare to playing at $1/2. By your example that would make $100 for 50 hours. That would not disapoint me at all.

And that is what I did at .02/.04 then .25/.50 and finally at .50/$1. Now I dabble at $1/2 and I see the benefit of not looking at the amount of money I was playing for but the amount of chips. Only problem is now at $1/2, I am starting to look at it more as money and less as chips which has given me a problem of getting too tight. Getting beat on the river still hurts but many times I can now see why they are still there to hit it. Just as I might be. Before I just thought the players were plain horrible and many times they were not. I was. Still learning.

Sorak
09-22-2003, 01:57 PM
The reason I am playing at this bet limit is because it is the same game as the .25/.50 and the .5/$1 games at UB in my opinion. I don't get raked on the .01/.02 and do on the others. I have played on those three bet limits and the games, IMHO, are really close. You would be surprised that the folding that goes on at that limit. It is the same fish. They just lost most of their money at the higher limits. Anyway, I want to learn the game better before I start getting raked.

rayrns
09-23-2003, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't worry about the rake at .05/.10 as very few if any pots get high enough to get raked.
At .50/$1, I have played 8800 hands and had $180.00 taken in rake.
At .25/.50, with about 100 hands I paid $1.00 in rake. (Limited sample) I played many more hands, just don't have the information.

I believe, if you have the bankroll, you should try 05/.10. You won't notice any difference in the play, pay any rake and build your bankroll a little faster.

And as soon after that as you can, move to .25/.50. Again you will see the same players, pay littler if any rake on most hands and build the bankroll faster.

After having moved through each of those games your experience will be improved and you will want to continue moving up.

Edited portion:
.05/.10 896 hands no rake
.25/.50 4200 hands $21.75 rake

Good luck.

Ed Miller
09-23-2003, 07:53 AM
The one mistake you made (mistake IMO) saved you two bets.

When do you give your opponent credit for a boat? He has done nothing but bet and raise at every opportunity since the flop, and he has weathered some serious action. His river bet into a turn capper clearly says, "A6 no good." I think raising the river is a significant mistake.