PDA

View Full Version : Ciaffone's Improve your Poker

12-07-2001, 02:06 PM
Sorry if this has already been covered hear but I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about Ciaffone's Improve Your Poker,

Thanks,

Allan

12-07-2001, 04:55 PM
I liked it. He has some very practical advice about playing styles and poker in general. It helped me on some things.

12-07-2001, 05:17 PM
I recommend it. It is a collection of numerous essays on the different subjects (Limit HE, STud, Omaha Pot-limit, no-limit, tournaments).

And good quiz also...

Nicolas Fradet (ThePrince)

12-07-2001, 07:53 PM
Allan,

I recommend it 100%. I'm not sure what Mason's review was on this particular book, but I'm sure it's pretty good.

12-08-2001, 12:07 AM
{i]Improve Your Poker[i] (9) by Bob Ciaffone. This is a collection of essays that this author has written mostly for various publications and it includes some thought provoking material. The

material covers a wide range of topics from beating loose games to playing short handed. As with most of Ciaffone’s material, I don’t agree with everything that he writes, but this text is well written and will give you many ideas to mull over, and should be helpful, as the title implies, to most intermediate players who wish

to achieve expert status.

12-08-2001, 09:30 AM
given some of the utter garbage on the market this is undoubtedly one of the best books around. WHile I think his advice is too tight is some areas the general concepts are welll discussed and, most importantly, are correct. At least they work for me. For example, one of the ideas he discusses, which I had never seen before in print, is that at limit holdem you only need to have what you are representing and nothing more to bet on the river. this is because most players will just call to make sure that you have what they think you have.

Pat

12-08-2001, 04:57 PM
IMO this is one of the very best poker books ever written. Anything Ciaffone writes about poker is must reading, IMO, and he's a very readable writer.

As with all poker books, you will probably find something you don't entirely agree with. That just comes with the turf.

TRLS

12-08-2001, 07:44 PM
Buy it in association with (if you have no it yet and whether u are interested to the subject)POt-limit and No-limit by same author (with Reuben).

I had no idea how to play pot-limit games, omaha hi-lo, etc. and after a 3 day reading I attended three ACF Club (Paris) pot-limit dealer' choice (10 variety of poker games, all pot-limit) tournaments, finishing all 3 times in the money.

By the way, Ciaffone is a regular player and it seems that the best poker books are written by regular players.

Marco

12-09-2001, 06:09 PM
Does he cover general poker concepts applicable to all games, or is he stuck on Hold'em like so many writers? I play only 7-stud currently ...

12-09-2001, 07:31 PM
He covers many poker games but stud points add not too much to the other stud works, except in the hi/lo section. (Few points but very good for a novice like me).

The lion part is spread by hold'em and his most favorite game, Omaha.

Marco

12-10-2001, 05:53 PM
I thought it was a good book. A review I wrote

of the book can be found at the included URL.