PDA

View Full Version : Watching the big boys (and girls) play

Mike Gallo
09-18-2003, 08:34 AM
Last night the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City NJ held their 10,000 buy in event. They spread no limit Texas style hold em. The event attracted 96 players.

I went to the Taj to watch the tourmament for a little while before heading off to the Borgatta.

I got to watch a table consisting of Huck Seed, David Plastik, Layne Flack and Barry Shulman. The other five players at the table I did not recognize or know of. The table had a good "dynamic".

I watched Phil Hellmuth lose with AQ to a players AK. The player checked behind Mr Hellmuth on the end, and Phil did not stop berating the player for checking to him on the river with the best hand.

Chris Ferguson walked around a lot and seemed like the ambassador of the "sport". He walked from table to table checking in and chatting with players. He seemed like genuinely nice person.

The tournament started at 4:00 pm with 96 players. When I left the Taj at 11:30pm the tournament had 93 players. I only saw one big showdown. A player who gained an entrance through a super satellite went all in with 10 10 against a known players AA. The AA held up and all the satellite winner had was a story.

I do not get the WPT channel, so I had to watch the event live. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~MG~

1800GAMBLER
09-20-2003, 08:49 PM
Looks like Phil will be writing a 2nd edition book.

Tyler Durden
09-21-2003, 01:47 AM
It's not a WPT event.

Stew
09-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Tyler is correct that it isn't, but I believe Travel Channel is covering this event (Secrets, I believe).