PDA

View Full Version : party poker ruined my game!

Guy McSucker
09-17-2003, 06:43 AM
Has anyone else noticed this? Until recently I was playing live and on Stars, mainly PLO cash and NL or PL HE tournaments. I was ducking and diving, making sharp little plays here and there, having a whale of a time and making money.

Then I started playing on Party. All the sharp little plays got me in biiiig trouble so I dropped them and began to play get-the-hand-bet-the-hand, and made money very much faster than before. All very well, but...

Now I have lost my feel for the moves I used to make in Stars and particularly in live games. It doesn't hurt me so much on Stars since the standard of play there has dropped off a bit (anyone disagree?) but my live game is up the swanee.

Perhaps more importantly for me, I now find my own strategy as interesting as watching paint dry.

Any advice?

Guy.

Wyrm2
09-17-2003, 09:30 AM
Enjoy counting the money that you made playing the boring style on Party... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

crockpot
09-17-2003, 12:38 PM
i was used to plo and plo8 on ub, so i understood exactly how to play party-style before i got there.

that said, if you decide to raise pot pre-flop, you can often thin the field to the point where bluffing and trapping have some value. or you can find maniacs to sit with, which is much more satisfying and profitable if you can handle the swings.

in regards to the paint drying comment, i think my pre-flop plo8 strategy on party is about as tight as anyone plays any game on there. my current strategy to combat that is playing three tables and talking to friends or surfing the net at the same time. if only party offered more games at the same time, i would sit at six by using my empire account too.

besides, i think i can make more per hour doing this than watching paint dry, which pays surprisingly poorly.