PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Lewis, is he cooler than Babe Ruth?

TAFKAn
09-16-2003, 01:59 AM
Babe Ruth may be the man with the coolest move of all time in sports. He walks up to the plate, he points to the right(?) field bleachers , and he hits a home run into the right field bleachers. Pretty hard to top that.

This past Sunday he may have been eclipsed. For those who don't know, Jamal Lewis, the Baltimore Ravens running back got exposed on Saturday for talking trash. It appears he was on a conference call with a friend on the Cleveland Browns, the Ravens' sunday opponent. During the call he boasts: "If I get 30 touches, I'll break the single game rushing record".

The reports of this conversation get into the news somehow and because of this Lewis has some egg on his face.

Sunday he gets 30 carries and breaks the single game rushing record.

In my opinion, that was one of the most amazing moments in the history of sports. It's mind-boggling that he could make a claim like that and back it up. Unbelievable.

Wake up CALL
09-16-2003, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Babe Ruth may be the man with the coolest move of all time in sports. He walks up to the plate, he points to the right(?) field bleachers , and he hits a home run into the right field bleachers. Pretty hard to top that.

This past Sunday he may have been eclipsed. For those who don't know, Jamal Lewis, the Baltimore Ravens running back got exposed on Saturday for talking trash. It appears he was on a conference call with a friend on the Cleveland Browns, the Ravens' sunday opponent. During the call he boasts: "If I get 30 touches, I'll break the single game rushing record".

The reports of this conversation get into the news somehow and because of this Lewis has some egg on his face.

Sunday he gets 30 carries and breaks the single game rushing record.

In my opinion, that was one of the most amazing moments in the history of sports. It's mind-boggling that he could make a claim like that and back it up. Unbelievable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually his quote was "If I get 30 carries I'll have a career day." This was construed by the media, post facto, to mean he expected to break the single game rushing record.

No Babe Ruth comparison in my book.

HDPM
09-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Aside from what wakeup said, Lewis's conversation was with a friend and had an element of smacktalking to it. Babe ruth did it for a sick kid dying in an orphanage on christamas eve or whatever. Wait, they don't play baseball on Christmas Eve. Anyway, Babe Ruth trancended his sport and was an American icon due to his enormous talent and the times he lived in. Jamal Lewis isn't Babe Ruth. Nobody will be again really. Regardless of stats or anything else.

Rushmore
09-16-2003, 02:36 PM
I would absolutely agree that this was one of the most remarkable sports stories ever...IF HE HAD ACTUALLY SAID IT.

On another note, I guess Mr. Lewis has access to a VCR or some other video unit, and was able to watch footage of the Cleveland defense before the game.

Crazy newfangled etc etc.

Oski
09-16-2003, 04:16 PM
From Los Angeles Times, Page 2 (Sports)
[ QUOTE ]
Right on: Fox radio personality Andrew Siciliano, on Fox Sports Net's new "Ultimate Fantasy Football Show," picked the Baltimore Ravens' Jamal Lewis as his "Stud of the Week" Saturday night.

"I'm going with Jamal Lewis against the Browns," Siciliano said. "Allegedly Lewis has told teammates he wants the all-time record, 278, this week."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I understand Lewis didn't actually make the proclamation, but the fact is, the statement had morphed long before game time. Thus, the quote was still on Lewis' head, and either had to put up or shut up.

So, I give him honorable mention. Not quite Broadway Joe or Ruth (even though evidence seems to disprove the "called shot") but this rates much higher than Messier's guarantee in '94.

Wake up CALL
09-16-2003, 10:40 PM
"So, I give him honorable mention. Not quite Broadway Joe or Ruth (even though evidence seems to disprove the "called shot")"

Just what evidence might that be Jason? The same source you used for your definition of "perfect poker play"?

Oski
09-16-2003, 10:48 PM
Not quite sure why that comment is neccessary. However, in the post you are obviously grilling, I was speaking of "perfect poker play" in the theoretical sense, and never once did I "define" perfect poker play. However, I did say that if one played perfect poker, then every play would have a +EV as a foundation for my ultimate point. You had an good rebuttal to the foundation, however, we disagree on a few preliminary points...which led me to believe we were actually taliking about two different things. So no matter.

As far as Ruth goes, the "called shot" has long been a matter of debate. Even the ballplayers present cannot agree...as a matter of fact, the pitcher always said (and always stuck to it) that if Ruth pointed to center field with his bat, the next pitch was going in his ear. There is also video which is of very poor quality, and taken from a long angle...it is inconclusive to say the least.

This time, instead of thinking up a brilliant retort against me, go look up the name of the pitcher for the rest of us...before you get your shine box.

Wake up CALL
09-16-2003, 10:55 PM
Charlie Root, any more quizes or did I pass?

Oski
09-16-2003, 11:05 PM
Thank you, well done. No quiz there, I just thought you were going to make me show all of my "evidence" and I didn't want to have to look it up.

I find is interesting that the "called shot" that is used as the standard for sport predictions probably did not happen as reported; while Jamal Lewis' feat is being downgraded for the same reason (even though he may have actually come closer to actually calling his shot). However, it seems we do accept the "called shot" thus, it reamins the gold-standard.

There is no disputing Broadway Joe's proclamation: he flat-out said the Jets would win - as 17.5 point underdogs, the statement was considered blasphemous.

Wake up CALL
09-16-2003, 11:23 PM
"I find is interesting that the "called shot" that is used as the standard for sport predictions probably did not happen as reported;"

May I ask why you keep saying this? I agree it is a gray area but I've seen much more to believe it did occur rather than not. As for Jamal he quoted himself on an interview for MNF just last evening. It was quite clear during the interview he made no such prediction and he never purported to have said any such thing.

Oski
09-17-2003, 12:33 AM
This is part of what I originally wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I understand Lewis didn't actually make the proclamation, but the fact is, the statement had morphed long before game time. Thus, the quote was still on Lewis' head, and either had to put up or shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should read a little more carefully. Lewis never said such a thing, I think I stated that quite clearly. My point was that even though he did not say that, he was being credited with saying it before the game...He did say something different, and in a seemingly private setting. However, people built the story up, yet before the event happened - into saying he was predicting he'd get the record. Thus, the quote was on his head. He went and got the record.

The story of Ruth's called shot has never been proven. Most baseball writers believe it was not a called shot..

baseball page (http://www.thebaseballpage.com/past/pp/ruthbabe/ruthbabe_32ws.htm)

photo (http://members.iglou.com/kirk/#Photo)

Recalling Babe's Shot (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/jun03/146013.asp)

Personally, I am a huge fan of Ruth...I'd like to see something that tends to prove it happened...I think ESPN did a show on it three years ago, but I don't think anyone belive he really "called the shot"

Clarkmeister
09-17-2003, 12:57 AM
Look, both statements are questionable and probabaly were never made as media/legend has portrayed.

That said, Ruths statement is like infinitely less impressive than Lewis', assuming both have any truth to them at all. Ruth hit a HR about (I'm too lazy to look it up) 1 every 11 official ABs over his career. Calling a shot is suddenly a lot less impressive. Running backs (even top ones) don't break the all time single game record anywhere near 1 in 11 times. Or 1 in 111 times. Or 1 in 1111 times.

Oski
09-17-2003, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Look, both statements are questionable and probabaly were never made as media/legend has portrayed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't agree more. I was just pointing out though that while the media built up Ruth's called shot after the fact (he hit the homer, no doubt, then the legend was created about him pointing to center field) Lewis was already being quoted as saying he was going to beat the record as early as the day before the event. (see excerpt from L.A. times posted above)

If Lewis gains 10 yards, he's still going to hear crap that he predicted he'd break the record, even though he did not make the prediction. However, he went out and broke the record which was pretty cool. In this case, the legend built before the event happened.

Oski
09-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Ok, assuming BOTH events were real "called shots" which is most impressive?

1. As Clarkmeister points out, Lewis' actual accomplishment was much more impressive than that of Ruth - all he did was hit a homer in the World Series, which was ho-hum for him.

2. However, Ruth's "called shot" would seem more impressive given he did it publicly, in front of 40,000 people, right before he acutually did it. Lewis, made the statement privately to only two people; therefore, he could always downplay the statement and the manner in which it was made (just talking trash). Ruth was hanging it out for all to see.