PDA

View Full Version : I won a big pot with 8 high

onegymrat
09-16-2003, 01:41 AM
Interesting hand with a controversial ruling. I'm playing $6-$12 at Commerce with the usual crowd. Those of you regulars know what I mean. The dealer is a veteran but she constantly gets distracted talking to players and have had numerous times when she pushes the wrong pot due to lack of attention. She doesn't disappoint in this hand.

I limp in co after a few players limp with 8-7 suited. Cut to the chase: I flop open-end and call the flop and turn bets when button raises turn (Board J-9-6-J). This clears the rest of the field and I call the raise. River is a blank so naturally I check.

The button says check, to everyone's surprise. According to rules, I have to open first. Embarrassingly, I flip my cards open and state, "I missed." I look over to button, he looks at my cards, then his, nods and pushes his cards into the muck, face down. I give the players on my side of the table this look of disbelief thinking, "What the hell did he raise me for, and why didn't he bet the river?" They return the same look of disbelief, as if to say he must be nuts.

Anyway, the dealer starts pushing the pot to the button, and I stop her saying, "Wait, what are you doing? He mucked." At that point, the dealer looks completely confused. The button then says, "I bet and you didn't call." Three players other than me heard him say check but he says different. The button was apparently waiting for the runner to bring his re-buy and was "$100 behind". The dealer failed to mention that to the table. That explains why there were no chips tossed into the pot on the river. He continues to insist that he held J-9, and thought I didn't call his "bet" therefore mucking his own hand.

The floorperson was called over and the dealer, now clearly not knowing what to do but wanted to cover her own lack of attentiveness, explains the situation. The floorperson ruled that since I have the only live hand, I get the pot. She asked the dealer if the button did say bet or not, and the dealer replied, "I don't know." (FYI dealer sat between the button and I, therefore I did not see he had run out of chips). Two players come to my defense stating that button did indeed check. One was more adamant about pushing the pot to me than I was!

I felt really badly because it was fairly apparent that button did have a big hand, but unfortunately, no one saw it. The button left immediately after the ruling and was ranting and raving as he changed tables. A small debate ensured after, whether he was trying to pull a con or not. I stayed out of it. The dealer said to me before I left, "I think he was B-S ing us, he didn't have anything. He didn't want to show, that's all." I wish I could believe her. What would you do?

Dynasty
09-16-2003, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What would you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stack my chips and move on to the next hand.

When he mucks his cards, his hand is dead. It is irrelevent whether he held the nuts or something which couldn't beat 8-high.

PrimeRoll
09-16-2003, 02:25 PM
Actually you won with a pair of Jacks, but a good story.