PDA

View Full Version : 9/12 AC trip report - Taj

punkass
09-15-2003, 04:39 PM
After much planning, I and a couple friends went by bus from DC/Baltimore via Greyhound and made our way to the Taj. We got there Friday night around midnight.

The whole place was packed. Didn't seem like an empty table in the whole room. A lot of the tables were dedicated to the satellites.

I was expecting a long list, but there were 4 names on the 2/4, and one on the 3/6. There were 5 tables of 3/6, and 4 of 2/4. I waited about 5 minutes to be seated, and I recognized no one. Usually I have at least seen a guy before, but nothing here.

Immediately I knew that 8 people at my table were idiots. Me and another guy had the bare minimum of knowledge. It was a typical 3/6 HE table on the weekend.

I start playing, and get nothing. I don't play anything for 3 hours. It must've been the worst string of cards that I've ever had in awhile. After awhile I get TT. I raise out of the CO, and I see both blinds complete along with the other 4 limpers. 7 of us see the flop. I am not happy.

The flop comes down Ah Qd 9h. BB bets, and a mid position raises. That was the end of my TT.

About an hour later, I see my friend who sat with us get AA. He is beaten when a T4 makes his two pair on the river.

But after awhile, the patience always pays off. I get dealt KsJs in MP. I see the flop along with 5 others.

9h Ts 4d. To my amazement, everyone checks.
Turn is 7s. I bet my 12 outs (15 if a K is good), and get called by 3 others. River is a pretty 8s, and I get paid off on the river by 2 of them, most likely one card straights.

The following hand, I get AhQh. I raise, and 5 others call. The flop is AJ4r. BB bets and I raise. All others fold, and he calls. The turn is another A, he bets. I raise again, and he calls. I am now pretty certain I am winning as he probably would've checkraised me or reraised me with AK or AJ. He might have 44, but I didn't give that much thought. River is a Q, so all that analysis gets thrown out the window. I bet and he calls. I win and he shows AT and curses his luck.

The room empties out a bit during the "sleeping hours" and I think there were 3 3/6 tables then. But there were still some wackos at the table. Around this time, I was down about 50, but pretty confident in making a turn around.

Around 1030am on Sat, the room starts gettin busy. Soon afterwards, the speaker starts going on and on selling seats to the satellites. There are $120 buyin satellites -- 10 person table NLHE. One winner gets a $1000 voucher (good for $1000 buyin tourney, or 2 $500) and $100 cash. There were also other smaller ones, but am unsure of the values.

At about 1pm, we see a great influx of people. The room is packed, and the list starts to grow. At this time, I am glad to have a seat.

I get AdKd on the button. Both blinds, and 4 others see the flop of 9d 8d Ks. Life is good. BB bets, MP calls, LP calls, and I raise. SB folds, and they call the raise.

Turn is Ah. MP bets, LP calls, and I raise again. All call again. I feel good.

River is 2d. Now LP bets, and I raise. Everyone calls. I successfully raise on all streets. It was a beautiful hand.

It is true. If you are a good low limit player, you will clean up at the Taj on the weekends. If you are an adequate low limit player, you will be up also. You don't have to know much to be better than the tourists here.

A "highlight" of the day was when Donald Trump came in to say hi to the high rollers. He and his entourage shimmied their way through the lo limit tables to the high rollers. I commented that he should get a hair cut. I figure he can afford it. I also commented that the woman with him was probably a little young for him, but I guess the money talks.

I continue to play until 6am Sun morning, which totals 30 hours of play, minus 2 hours for eating. By the way, the snack shop upstairs isn't bad. I had their special (fried chicken with fries and a soda with cole slaw) for $6. I hate cole slaw, but the fries were fresh, and the chicken was alright. It was on the greasy side, but I like greasy chicken. I saw someone get a bacon cheeseburger, and it was pretty big with 6 slices of bacon, so I might get that next time.

We catch a 830 bus to Philly and then to Baltimore, then to DC. I finally get to sleep in the middle of the Eagles game. Good thing I didn't see the horror.

All in all, I was up $120. Over 30 hours, I made $4/hr. Not bad, not on par to the 1BB, but I'll take it. On a side note, a friend of mine made $650 over 12 hours at 3/6. That's about 9BB/hr. Obviously he got a good run of cards, but you will get paid off on your winning hands. I must've checkraised the same 9 people 5 times in 2 hours with the nuts, and they all paid off everytime. They must've thought "well, this time, he might be bluffin" each and everytime.

I didn't know I was going to AC until about 3 hours before I left, so I wasn't able to post a request to meet any of you AC regulars. So if I do go this weekend, I'll let you know and maybe we'll have lunch or something.

Til next time

John

I might make it back up there this weekend.