PDA

View Full Version : Idea for 2+2

thomastem
09-15-2003, 10:46 AM
I am used to posting on the internet forum but this ider for 2+2 probably fits better here. If I mention my barnyard animals or even my buzzard or Pelican please don't take offense. Also understand that in no way am I referring to Jabba.

Ok now for my ider. How about a new thread called "Member essays"? For example Jason Hold'em writes an ongoing post about his experiences in learning about becoming good enough to earn a living online.

thomastem
09-15-2003, 05:05 PM
Ok I got a PM complaint about this Post. Could someone explain to me how anyone could feel I am picking on them. I don't see it. Some may not find it funny but picking on an individual?

I don't want to hurt individuals feelings, if someone sees something I'm missing please let me know so I can correct it.

CrackerZack
09-15-2003, 05:13 PM
I actually like the idea. davidross, jasonholdem and grinningbuddha all have some form of diary or weekly report they like to post and respond to. A forum for these doesn't seem unreasonable to me although I could easily see why they wouldn't want to go through the effort. But hey, maybe they'd like the idea also.

oh yeah, and buzzards offend me.

Adde
09-15-2003, 05:13 PM
Why don't start the thread yourself? Or did you mean a *forum*? If so, way too narrow a subject for a forum, I think.

thomastem
09-15-2003, 05:23 PM
adde the essays can be about anything informative. From learning to discussing leaks to suggestions. An essay could be titled "This weeks progress" to "What the pros won't tell you." as an example. The commonality is that they are longer posts (expected in this title) but can deal with anything. An essay could be a profile on a pro player even.

jasonHoldEm
09-15-2003, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also understand that in no way am I referring to Jabba.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not sure who Jabba is (other than a member that hasn't posted since mid-June)...and since I'm the only other person you mention in the thread, I'm also confused how this could be considered picking on someone.

I think it's a good idea, but also think it's probably too narrow a focus for a forum. (bummer)

Also, as a side note if you search back in the archives there was a user named mdlm who used to post a journal on the beginners forum...so there are actually four bodies of work out there that I know of. (Admittedly, mdlm did make some questionable decisions and basically refused to take advice from the more veteran players...but he still worked hard...and his posts are actually where I got the idea to start my posts, so credit where credit is due).

Peace,
jHE

EDIT: Ok, I read your follow-up...this might be a good idea afterall...I thought you were just targeting the "journal" writers...if we opened it out to anyone who wanted to write articles I think it definately has potential.

EDIT EDIT: Especially since david and GB post their journals in texas holdem and I post mine in the zoo.

thomastem
09-15-2003, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also understand that in no way am I referring to Jabba.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not sure who Jabba is (other than a member that hasn't posted since mid-June)...and since I'm the only other person you mention in the thread, I'm also confused how this could be considered picking on someone.

Jason I will go on record as saying you didn't get complain and the the user Jabba hasn't complained. This complaint is so bazar in my opinion I almost copied and pasted his PM to this post. How can someone be so obsessed with getting my posts with my humor banned?

J.R.
09-15-2003, 06:02 PM
he must have pelican envy.

HUSKER'66
09-15-2003, 06:10 PM
He is obviously not an animal lover /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Has he in his PM's specifically told you what he has a problem with? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Clarkmeister
09-15-2003, 06:13 PM
I actually think a "member essay" forum is a great idea.

tiltboy
09-15-2003, 06:17 PM
What exactly was the nature of the complaint and what in it so upset you that you feel the need to share with the rest of us? I am confused.

thomastem
09-15-2003, 09:26 PM
The word Jabba

thomastem
09-15-2003, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What exactly was the nature of the complaint and what in it so upset you that you feel the need to share with the rest of us? I am confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tilt a few weeks ago a couple people told Matt Sklanski that including barn yard animals in my posts is offensive (paraphrasing). Since this is an ongoing issue I wanted to make sure I ain't crazy as I don't get the offensive or the personal nature of the complaints.

Now if he doesn't like my humor that I can understand but isn't that solved by not reading my posts.

Now the poker slant to this is indirrect. People at the tables have these same types of problems (this is my first). This kind of behavior is not profitable and chases fish away because it is no fun.

The importance of this post is both; Posters shouldn't chase away newbies to the forum with offensive material nor should they worry about expressing their poker views because people who disagree berate them.

I'm just making sure I'm not crazy and inadvertantly posting truly offensive posts.

Adde
09-16-2003, 08:25 AM
so there are actually four bodies of work out there that I know of

Four don't make a crowd.

No offense Jason, I'm just the 'devils attorney'. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Luke
09-16-2003, 01:12 PM
FWIW, I think a forum devoted to essays would be a nice addition. I don't know the extent of work required to create and maintain an additional forum, but it may be worth a shot. Good idea thomastem.