PDA

View Full Version : New to Pot Limit Hold Em Tournaments - Advice?

BigHef
09-15-2003, 10:32 AM
I am about to play a $1 PL Holdem tournament at PokerStars. I have played a fair number of NL tournaments, however I was wondering how the strategy changes for PL?

Any advice would be appreciated!

crockpot
09-15-2003, 11:40 AM
the biggest difference is that you cannot get all-in as easily. for most players this makes little difference, but when you often use big raises as a weapon (like i tend to do), you have to remember that your ability to do so is greatly handicapped in this game.

two other quick points: position is more important, since you cannot get all-in as easily, and the rewards for slowplaying a big pair in early position are much better, since you can only raise a little bit if no one is in yet, but can come back over the top for a good amount with a raise behind you.

of course, i don't expect your opponents in a $1 tournament to really challenge you that much, so just playing your best no-limit game and betting the pot whenever you'd like to bet more will suit you just fine.

BigHef
09-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Thanks mate, I managed to get all in on the 3rd hand with KK - opponent turned over K7o. Gotta love $1 tourneys.