PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinion on: Flop Types by Mort Badiza

11-09-2001, 06:05 PM
Does anyone have a opinion on this book?

11-10-2001, 12:53 PM
I think it depends on your sophistication already. I buy everything because I feel price is no object. The way I see it I paid around 60K for an education so how can I not justify shelling out 20 bucks for a poker book if there's a chance it might have just one nugget of wisdom, or god forbid, 40 bucks.

I can summarize the whole book for you. There are several flop types:

1) pair with no straight draw

2) pair with straight draw

3) 3 to straight

4) 2 to straight and unrelated side card

5) three of a kind

6) 3 unrelated cards without straight draw, (Q-7-2)

Some are safer than others if you have top pair, obviously 6, 5, and 1 are the safest to prevent outdrawing so you can slowplay more here but should protect your hand with the others. Gives some percentages for which flop is most common- 3 and 4 above.

There, I saved you 20 bucks.

Joeflex

11-10-2001, 10:37 PM
Yes, as I suggested in the past, this book is by far the worst book ever written in poker world.

Marco

11-10-2001, 11:57 PM
You forgot one:

7) 2 way straight (Q-8-4)

Anyway I agree with Joeflex. Matt has about a 2 page article worth of comments which he stretches into an entire book. The two page article is would have been a good one, but as a book it is truly terrible.

11-11-2001, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the tip!!!

Other that the standard Sklansky, Caro books what would you suggest. The most recent book that I liked was "Inside the poker mind" by John Feeney. The info about AQ has saved me a fortune.

11-11-2001, 07:17 AM
Tell me the info about AQ and i will tell you everything

11-11-2001, 11:13 AM
page 33 of Freeney's book. Do you pass the AQ test? To make a very informative chapter short, Freeney recommends folding AQoff to an early or mid position raiser. I wish I would have kept count of all the bets I've saved. Most of the time the flop misses completely. When a card that help me falls it usually give another player a stronger hand than mine(ie. I hold AQ, they hold AK and an A falls, they hold QQ and a Q falls, etc.etc.

11-13-2001, 06:53 AM
Yeah AQ really isnt a very good hand to be calling raises with in a full game (depends where the raise came from of course). The worst hand in holdem isn't 72off it's Ace rag. Loses more money than any other hand, whereas 72off is pretty routinely folded.