PDA

View Full Version : NLHE books

11-07-2001, 09:07 AM
What are the good No Limit Holdem books (tournaments mainly)? Where can I buy them online? Any recommendations and comments

appreciated. Thanks

Dirk.

11-07-2001, 10:17 AM
Championship no-limit, pot-limit holdem by TJ

Pot-limit and No-limit poker by Ciaffone

These are the 2 best "big bet" poker books

11-07-2001, 10:48 PM
Tournament Poker by Tom McEvoy

11-07-2001, 11:02 PM
Others have suggested the TJ/TM books. The Ciaffone/Reubens book far outclasses the TJ/TM books. Read the TJ/TM books if you want. You'll pick up a few tips. But unless you don't like money you had better read the Ciaffone/Reubens book.

FWIW I own all the books mentioned. The TJ/TM books got a single read and an occasional glace at a specific section. The cover is falling off of Bob's book.

11-08-2001, 03:31 AM
I agree. The Rubin/Ciaffone book is far superior to the TJ/TM material.

11-08-2001, 09:37 AM
I also notice that there are more than one TJ/TM book that has been mentioned where I posted this. (Titles something like

1:Tournament poker, 2:Championship poker, 3:Holdem poker.)

Any specific recommendations on these apart from some people generally not being impressed.

Also does anyone know of mathematical books which specifically addresses games of the no limit poker type.

Dirk

11-09-2001, 06:25 PM
It seems to be general concensus that Ciaffone and Reuben is better than Cloutier and McEvoy. However, if a player is thinking of playing a reasonable amount of both pot limit and nolimit, in live and online games, would you suggest that they read both?

Are there many big ideas or plays that are not covered in Ciaffone et. al. that are in Cloutier et. al?

11-10-2001, 04:16 AM
In my opinion the Cloutier/McEvoy book is marginal at best and adds virtually nothing to the Rubin/Ciaffone book. However, if you want to view it as supplemental reading I see nothing wrong with that.

11-10-2001, 05:33 PM
Think of the books as three gears: McEvoy/Cloutier for first gear, Ciaffone/Reubens for second gear, and Doyle Brunson for third gear.

11-11-2001, 03:02 AM

11-11-2001, 03:04 AM
Ray Zee and natedogg could pack in a ton of info. Cover to cover reading for sure.

11-11-2001, 03:05 AM

11-16-2001, 09:55 PM
I agree with Mason except for one little thing. I think the TJ book does a good job of driving home the point that you need to build a pot in pot limit. Slowplaying is rarely correct because in the later streets there's no pot to win. Building a pot is essential because you can win big with your big hands and you can bluff effectively later on. In no limit it's not as important but it's crucial to build the pot in pot limit.

Other than that, yeah, it's pretty much just good for the anecdotes.

natedogg