PDA

View Full Version : AutoReq - Software Review

10-31-2001, 12:19 PM
AutoReq is freeware software available from http://pokersoftware.onestop.net

It attempts to count the hands at a Paradise Poker table and automatically request a hand history after you play a set number of hands. The default is approximately 100, the maximum number of hand histories you may request.

This software is of benefit to those who religiously request and save their hand histories, as the Paradise Client makes no attempt to aid in the process of allowing a user to easily keep track and save their hand histories, there is also a limitation of requesting only your last 100 hands played.

Preamble:

First of I want to acknowledge that Autoreq is Beta software. The author has acknowledged that his testing has been limited to his own machine and operating system and asked bugs to be reported to twoplustwo. The fact that his own development environment is limited suggests that there is a good probability that there exists bugs that exist that the author would never be able to find because they may be unique to a system or an OS that he has no access to. This is something that we all have to accept as basement software developers just don't have access to the same resources as Microsoft. The software is also free so there is less incentive for the author to aggressively look for and find bugs.

Installing:

The software is received via a zipfile, the user is responsible for unzipping it into a directory then running the executable. There is no "installer", while this isn't a problem for the average to advanced user, new or unsophisticated computer users might have trouble installing it and later removing it. Configuring or changing its behavior may also prove to be awkward as it involves using a text editor to modify a text file "settings.txt" that exists in the directory the program the program was installed into. I would recommend in future releases that the options be configured from the executable.

Running it:

The program still has not worked properly for me, it correctly counts hands and when the hands reaches the point where it should request a hand history, it successfully opens the Paradise hand request dialog box, then does nothing else. On one occasion it hung up. Dramatically slowing down the performance of my machine. I was left with CTRL-ALT-DEL then Ending the AutoReq task.

Safety:

Running programs obtained from anonymous sources should always be a concern for all users, there is also a concern from on-line poker players that a program might contain a Trojan that allows remote users to view their hole cards. While testing the program I was running ZoneAlarm a free firewall available from www.zonealarm.com (http://www.zonealarm.com) and Autoreq made no attempt to access the network. This suggests that the program is safe from broadcasting information to a remote user.

Recommendations:

Autoreq may be useful to some users if their machines and OS are similar enough to the creators and they therefore do not experience any of the bugs I have. I believe the beta version is to unreliable for general use and look forward to the creator releasing a more stable version.

I have no affilliation with the author.

Regards,

Jodder

11-01-2001, 11:43 PM
I've been using the program for a while now with relatively few problems. I found the installation and configuration to be easy. The progam has hung up a couple times after counting 99 hands, but it usually works fine. When I play two tables, however, it appears to count too many hands (resulting in hand histories being requested too frequently).