PDA

View Full Version : Non-Strategy Books

10-30-2001, 03:46 PM
I am looking for a list of poker books to read just for entertainment purposes. I loved 'The Big Deal' by Holden and somewhat enjoyed 'Total Poker' by Spanier. Any like those that people have come across? I noticed on Conjelco that there is a Spanier book called something like 'The Hands I Played', anyone read that?

Thanks in advance.

KJS

10-30-2001, 04:46 PM
I read and enjoyed Jesse Mays "Shut up and deal". And can recommend it if your looking for pokerstories instead of strategy.

10-30-2001, 06:33 PM
We have one book like that. It's called PokerFarce and Poker Truth. You can read an excerpt by clicking on Books under Directory in the left hand column.

10-30-2001, 09:09 PM
Shut up and Deal gives an excellent feel about the uncertainty of professional poker. Education of a poker player is also excellent. Pokerfarce and Pokertruth, in my opinion, though i've seen it elsewhere, is the only 2+2 book not suitable for bronzing; it may very well be the single most annoying, cloying, condescending, frustrating, and exasperating piece of literature I have ever had the displeasure of getting my hopes up for. Near as I can tell, Mason is the only person on Earth who finds this book entertaining. Mason's a genius, and 99% of the time I'm on board with whatever he says, and I ALWAYS refer to his reviews before purchasing a book, but this reprehensible book has the distinct honor of being the only book I have ever returned. Sorry Mason, love you otherwise,(from a very safe distance).

10-30-2001, 09:37 PM
There is no question that this book gets strong reaction from most readers. I happened to like it and that's why we published it. Most comments I have received on it are very favorable. But not everyone is of that opinion.

10-31-2001, 02:36 AM
Would love to see what your opinion is on Wong's "Sharp Sports Betting" and Dan Gordon's "Beat the Sports Books". I think that SSB will appeal more to you for its statistical insight, but think you will also really like BTSB. I'm setting the over/unders for your ratings on these books as follows;

Sharp Sports Betting 9.5

Beat The Sports Books 8

The above posted lines are not an encouragement to wager, as that would be illegal unless you are in the State of Nevada, where an adult of sound mind has more rights than one from, say, Illinois.

10-31-2001, 02:53 AM
KJS -- My favorite of those kinds of books was Al Alvarez's "The Biggest Game in Town." I'm not sure if it's in print now, but I don't think it would be too hard to find. Somewhat dated now, but a good read about Vegas poker around the '70s (as I recall).

10-31-2001, 08:46 AM
he just reviewed wong's book with a 9....you should give your reviews of various poker literature,,i certainly verify your broad knowledge of poker..and try this one...to err is human..to regress divine...gl

10-31-2001, 09:36 AM
I tried to find it recently and could not. Apparently it is out of print. But if anyone knowswhere to get it let us know!!

Pat

10-31-2001, 02:02 PM
Yes, that is a good read.

I do believe it is out of print now though.

I found a hardback copy in pretty good shape at a used bookstore for around $10.

10-31-2001, 02:18 PM

10-31-2001, 04:23 PM
I believe my review of SSB is posed below. The other book you mention is sitting on my desk and I hope to get to it in the not too distant future.

10-31-2001, 08:15 PM
Total shot in the dark here....and hoping its not in reference to John Patrick's silly craps progressions, but I'm gonna go with David Spanier. I'm sure this shall blow my Aura of trivial invincibility. If people are interested, I guess i could give my opinion on gambling related books, however, i do not feel qualified to critique any game theory books. I remember investing a considerable amount of time in encapsulating about half my library on BJ21.com about 8 months ago, but it has burgeoned since, so maybe I'll throw in some more quickie reviews. When I get my digital camera back, I'll take a picture of my bookcase to show you the meaning of true dementia.

10-31-2001, 10:23 PM
The Hand I Played is not a good book. I feel it was a waste of money although I do think David Spanier is a gifted writer, he missed the mark here.

11-01-2001, 09:24 AM
Really enjoyed "The Man with the $100.000 breasts" by Michael Konik. It is not a novel, rather a collection of gambling related stories. About 8 or so about poker. This book is a marvel.

S

11-01-2001, 01:19 PM
Fast Company by Jon Bradshaw. This book profiled some big gamblers and had some good poker stuff. The stuff on Titanic Thompson was great. Johnny Moss and Pug Pearson are covered. The profile on New York Fats (who copied the Minnesota Fats name from The Hustler) was interesting although the author didn't focus much on how overrated (by the public) he was as a player. He hints at it, but never really talks about how he couldn't beat any of the top players (well-known or not so well known). But it did portray him as pathetic and a bit crazy. An interesting and well-written look at the world of gambling on skill games all in all.

11-01-2001, 03:39 PM
Put this one on the top of your list. It's probably the best, and most honest, depiction of professional gambling ever written.

If you want an opinion of Fats from a guy who played him, read McGoorty by Robert Byrne. Recently re-issued in paperback.

11-01-2001, 05:08 PM
McGoorty was a fun read. I saw a new copy a while back and was disappointed to see that the pictures were gone. I have hung on to my copy that was damaged in a basement flood and am happy I did. I like the old black and whites of the great old billiard players. I checked my copy of Fast Company and Bradshaw quotes McGoorty on some of Fats' inadequacies, but the whole McGoorty assessment is worthwhile. What a life McGoorty had. I wouldn't want it, but I did like reading about it. Sometimes I wish I was born earlier, I might have found McGoorty in San Francisco and played him some cheap three-cushion with no spot just to hear his whole line of B.S. and see how brutal he'd be throwing safeties at a horrible and helpless player. It would be worth the money.

11-02-2001, 06:32 PM
ive never played fats but i watched him a couple of times play both pool and 3 cushion. he was not a good player but a great hustler against fools. he lost when i saw him as he couldnt make a ball, literally.