PDA

View Full Version : One Reason Not To Join NRA

HDPM
09-13-2003, 05:09 PM
The NRA is kind of a weak organization and only moderately pro-gun rights. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Aside from their cowardly positions on some things, internal politics, and constant fund raising, there is a new reason not to join. See, they're really riding Charlon Heston. They propped him up as he was slipping into senility, and now they are sending fundraiser letters using his impending mental demise as a hook. I got the first of the "I am saying goodbye to all of you now while I have moments of lucid thought and am not in Depends yet...." letters yesterday. And I got a glossy photo of Moses hisself holding an empty over under on his shoulder. It is addressed to me personally, given the wonders of computers and fake signatures, and thanks me for my years of friendship. Huh, I never met Heston. Saw him once, but didn't bid to sit next to him at the banquet for 3000 or whatever, although the food was in fact Soylent Green I think. Didn't even get to shake his hand. But I guess we're friends. I can't decide whether to toss the photo or keep it as a souvenir. In 40 years it will be really hilarious and might fetch $4 at my estate sale. I really is gross. It may not be worth being a member if we get this kind of thing everytime his condition gets worse, as I expect we will. Certainly when he dies we'll get some pretty funny stuff asking for money. Eeeeew.

John Cole
09-13-2003, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really is gross. Eeeeew.

[/ QUOTE ]

HDPM,

Now you said it, not me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

HDPM
09-13-2003, 10:56 PM
I hat profreadig.

John Cole
09-13-2003, 11:20 PM
I usually refrain from pointing that stuff out because I make so many mistakes myself, but some are simply priceless.

Boris
09-14-2003, 03:57 AM
HDPM I used to think the NRA was kind of ridiculous when I lived in MT. I didn't know anyone who wanted to control gun ownership. What did I need the NRA for?

Then I moved to California. I think I should probably join up. lot of people around here are extremely anti-gun.

Ragnar
09-14-2003, 04:12 AM
I got the same mailing as HDPM. I had already decided not to renew, and this clinched it for me.

Gun Owners of America is a more principled group in defense of the right to keep and bear arms.

Ragnar

scalf
09-14-2003, 02:06 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gifjohn...the rest ya charge on mc....gl /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ray Zee
09-14-2003, 03:17 PM
all organizations turn into just fund raising giants as they get larger. little gets done what their original intention was. why join an organization unless you need to feel wanted. just invest that money you waste on their 500,000 dollar salary for the president. then give it to someone locally that needs it. or spend it on some ammo for your own gun.

HDPM
09-14-2003, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I prefer GOA. Still belong to NRA tho. I figure GOA is the scary and principled group and the NRA is the politically correct cave in compromise group that is more effective in the anti-gun political climate we have. But maybe I should just stick to GOA since the NRA may help ban guns eventually.

whiskeytown
09-16-2003, 12:03 AM
I'm as pro-gun as the next person - but there's really no good reason for a person to have a TEC-9 - not necessary.. and seeing Charlton Heston and the NRA give gun rallies days after Columbine and Flint, MI school shootings in those respective communities really pissed me off to the nth degree. Just slap the face of those parents whose kids got killed, why don't you...

Yes, I saw that on Bowling for Columbine - and Heston's reaction to when Michael Moore held up the pic. of that shot girl was something else too...

truth is, B for C isn't really an anti-gun movie per se...he makes a point of noting Canada has almost more guns then people, yet you don't see homicide rates of the same percentage there...it's more of a treatment on how Americans love to use violence to resolve every situation, even when it's not necessary -

RB

HDPM
09-16-2003, 10:24 AM
You are not as pro gun as the next guy. Tec-9s are kind of lame. Fully auto MP-5s or M-16s would be better. The fact you would deny people their right to own a Tec 9 though means you are solidly against gun rights. Perhaps not a Feinstein or Schumer, but you cannot put yourself in the pro-gun rights camp. The NRA fell into this trap for years when it was dominated by anti- 2d Amendment deer hunters and duck shooters. Now we have bans on some "assault weapons" and regular capacity magazines. We also have many jurisdictions which deny people their constitutional rights based on emotional arguments like anti-tec 9 arguments. The 2d Amendment has nothing to do with duck hunting or shooting targets with a .22.

MMMMMM
09-16-2003, 11:00 AM
"The 2d Amendment has nothing to do with duck hunting or shooting targets with a .22."

Good point.