PDA

View Full Version : Diary of an online poker player #13

GrinningBuddha
09-12-2003, 06:31 PM
Day 57 - When The Going Gets Tough...

The tough go to Sit N' Gos. More on that in a bit.

I'm not sure what it was about Empire that didn't agree with me. Some say they prefer the colors there, but I find myself more at home on the Party tables as far as that goes. I didn't spend long at Empire for a number of reasons, but the most discouraging was the fact that I couldn't for the life of me get my good hands to hold up under pressure. Most of that was due to one poor 1-2 session when I dropped about $60 due to our friend variance. Even the .50/1.00 tables turned their backs on me, however. Quite frustrating.

Now, given the fact that it's .50/1.00, I didn't necessarily lose much money even with my hands not holding up, so that's ok. It's simply frustrating to be spinning one's wheels at a level where one should be winning quite easily. Better to have it happen now where I can make up for the suckouts on other hands where at higher levels I wouldn't get paid off so well.

To break up the monotony of the cold ring games, I decided to try some Sit N' Gos at Empire and have continued to do so now that I'm back at Party. The cold cards continued at Empire, but warmed up shortly before I left, and things are going swimmingly at Party now as well. I'm playing the $10 tables, mostly NL, but with a couple of Limit tables thrown in last night for a change of pace. It's great fun to be able to adapt to differing game conditions as the tourney goes on, and definitely fun to play hands in certain situations that one wouldn't normally play in a ring game. So far on Party I'm up $77 from the tourneys, mostly thanks to cashing in 3 out of 4 last night (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 6th) Once I feel comfortable at the $10 level, I'll try my hand at the $30 games and see how that goes.

As for the ring games, the poor luck continues. Last night, I had AA go down to 77, QQ go down to QJs, KJs go down to ATs (flush over flush, ouch), and a set of 9s go down to a runner-runner straight. Gotta love this game. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Even with the 'unwelcome variance', I managed to close my session down only 5 BB, and up a net of $51, so I can't complain. Once I can get both the ring play and tourney play firing on all cylinders, things should be peachy.

The wife and I are still getting ready for our road trip to Vegas at the end of the month. We were planning on staying at the Stratosphere, but managed to find a great deal at the Flamingo, so we'll be cooling our heels there between poker sessions. Well, poker for me and bingo for her. Old habits die hard. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif I hope the Flamingo is as nice as the pictures suggest.

Pokertracker, or Why Am I Losing Money There?

I took a quick look through Pokertracker this morning and made some interesting discoveries:

- Suited Aces below A9s are losers.
- My best pairs besides AA are TT and 33. JJ are death.
- Suited connectors suck
- Unsuited connectors really suck
- I can't draw worth crap from the button

Now, I only have about 2000 hands total, so these results are subject to change, but it was the first revelation that really surprised me. I had always thought Axs and pairs were fairly equal in their earn and value, but this is clearly not the case, even at these loose low limits. I never open limp with Axs unless I'm UTG in a very loose game. I may have to start looking for 2 limpers to me before I play them, instead of the one I look for now. Either that, or I need to start hitting my draws more. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My button stats are quite depressing. I'm not losing great amounts of money, but I'm not making great amounts either. When I'm playing from the strongest position, I should be making as much if not more money from there than from any other position. For now, I'm going to chalk that up to variance as I haven't been able to see any poor limps/raises from there, but it's something I'll keep an eye on.

I'd sure like to try the two-table SnGs at Pokerstars, but their customer service claims that there's no deposit bonuses, so for now I'm happy to prey upon the Party players. As a slightly larger guppy myself, that is. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

MrDannimal
09-12-2003, 10:25 PM
I think you're reading way too much into any specific hands/positions. Even at 2000 hands the overview info isn't all that reliable, how many hands of AXs do you have from various positions? It has to be a near meaningless sample set.

trillig
09-12-2003, 10:52 PM
Flamingo's video poker and slots are tight, skip all temptations...

Happy to give them a crappy review, after losing a lot (1500+) there once because my mother in-law stayed there once.

Do see The Amazing Jonathan while he is still there.

-t

GrinningBuddha
09-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Given how the games have been going, I would agree with you Dannimal. I'll re-evaluate at a later date. Having 33 outperform KK is clearly an anomaly, so many of the other results should be considered as such as well.

Can't wait to start hitting those cards! /images/graemlins/smile.gif