PDA

View Full Version : The problem with Google...

Boris
09-12-2003, 05:44 PM
Is that its search results are old news. I don't know the exact objective function from which Google derives its search algorithm, but I do know that the number of linked pages is weighted heavily in how they list search results. At first this seems like a good idea but the reality is that it creates a "Google" time lag in search results. A great many of the results are outdated and thus irrelevant. Maybe some of you computer types could make your own, better search engine and thus make $10-$50M.

Vehn
09-12-2003, 06:18 PM
My uncle works there and I bitch at him a lot about how groups are slow as hell i.e. RGP. I'll add this to the list.

He was the guy who invented "undo". He got a little award for it. Isn't that cool?

/segue

Boris
09-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Your unlcle is way cool. He's saved my ass numerous times.

DanS
09-12-2003, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My uncle works there... /segue

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean he lives/works in Mountain View? In that case, when the hell are you going to come out here and play some cards?

Dan

Terry
09-12-2003, 11:18 PM
Yep. Google’s exact method is a closely guarded trade secret, but it is known that a site’s ranking on a Google search is heavily weighted for the number of sites that link to it, thus we get stuck with gazillions of affiliate sites, making searching more difficult due to the thousands of nonrelated “hits”, not to mention the fact that each additional affiliate means less return for each of the others.

The affiliate mess, not just on the Internet Gambling forum here, but on the web in general, is ugly, out of control, and it is mainly Google’s fault.