PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding String Bets and Proper NL Raises

Dewey
09-12-2003, 02:31 PM
I need some help with B&M procedures.

Avoiding String Bets:
What is the best way to avoid being called for a string bet?
If I say "Raise" before I do anything, can I move chips into the center in several motions if I can't get them all in at one time?
Should I say "Raise" or "Raise to"?

NL Betting:
Assume $50/$100 blinds. Are the descriptions below correct?
The minimum raise is $50 pre and post flop, and $100 on turn and river. If someone raises more than these amounts then the next raise (in the same session) has to be at the same amount or more, right? The next raise can't then reraise by a lesser amount, right?

Thank you.

slamdunkpro
09-12-2003, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is the best way to avoid being called for a string bet?
If I say "Raise" before I do anything, can I move chips into the center in several motions if I can't get them all in at one time?
Should I say "Raise" or "Raise to"?

[/ QUOTE ]

In most cases if you work or count your chips behind your cards you're OK. But if you're not sure, state "Raise" clearly, then count out your raise. If you know the amount you can state "raise to $$$" then push in but at that point you are obligated to that amount.

[ QUOTE ]
Assume $50/$100 blinds. Are the descriptions below correct?
The minimum raise is $50 pre and post flop, and $100 on turn and river. If someone raises more than these amounts then the next raise (in the same session) has to be at the same amount or more, right? The next raise can't then reraise by a lesser amount, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the minimum bet is the BB or in this case $100.

youtalkfunny
09-21-2003, 03:30 PM
I always decide how much I'm going to bet BEFORE I EVEN REACH FOR MY CHIPS. If I'm taking a long time to decide, I may announce, "I'm going to raise," or just, "Raise." Often, I'll explain, "I'm going to raise--I just haven't yet decided how much."

If I can't bring all the chips out in one motion, then I will announce, "Make it $x," with "x" being the total (bet plus raise).

Hope this helps.