PDA

View Full Version : Limit freebie: Would you slow down?

Al_Capone_Junior
09-12-2003, 12:25 PM
Another strategically unremarkable hand, but leaves me with a question, did I lose four big bets on the river because I played correctly, or because I wimped out?

AsKc on the button. Just sat down, know nothing about the game, except it's on party, and I haven't been playing limit hold'em for months. UTG raises. Two cold callers. I three-bet. Both blinds cold call it all. UTG caps, six take the flop capped.

Flop A K 5 with two hearts. UTG bets, all call to me, I raise, SB folds, BB reraises, UTG caps, both cold call, I call, 5 see the turn capped again.

Turn Kh, making three hearts on board. BB bets, UTG raises, next drops, I three-bet, BB calls, UTG caps, I call, BB calls, 3 pp. I am beginning to believe UTG has AA.

River 5. BB bets, UTG raises, I call, BB calls.

Both these morons have flushes, one with Q4 (BB) the other with JT (UTG).

Obviously I lost two (or probably four) bets on the river. Anyone else keep pumping the river?

aces961
09-12-2003, 01:20 PM
If this was 2/4 or lower I probably keep raising on the river. At 3/6 I would probably play it just like you did.

MrDannimal
09-12-2003, 02:24 PM
First few hands at a table, I probably just call here. I think mentally, I'd much rather start the session with a huge win and leave a few BBs on the table then start with a huge loss because I was trying to squeeze it dry.

I think what you gain in learning about those two guys (assuming they stick around) easily allows you to make up the missed bets.

Cigwin
09-12-2003, 04:24 PM
I slow down. I had a similar situation where I kept pumping with QQQKK and lost 48BB to KKKQQ. Nice hand.

huzitup2
09-17-2003, 04:18 AM
AA beats you.

55 beats you.

AK ties you.

Not only were you correct in just calling for fear of being beaten, you COULD squeeze someone out of the pot if there IS another AK out there.

I'd have done exactly the same as you did.

This is a classic example of "I'm extremely likely to have the best hand, but NOT so likely to have the best hand if the raising war continues".

Tell the truth, when UTG raised the river, did you (even for a second) wish you were all in ?

I wouldn't mind being all in at that point, though I would like to have enough to call the raise. Remember, even if YOU don't 3-bet, UTG can re-open the betting. If he had, I'd have started looking for someone who was willing to "buy" my hand :-).

Well done,

- H