PDA

View Full Version : Pokerstars' Moneymaker vs. Farha

shaniac
09-12-2003, 01:23 AM
For those who don't know, the WSOP 2003 champ will play the runner up on September 14 on Pokerstars for $40,000, 10K of which is being supplied by the site.

It didn't occur to me until a friend pointed it out, but why the hell should Pokerstars be giving a $10,000 freeroll to the two poker players in this world who don't need it?

Chris Moneymaker and Sam Farha both made millions playing poker this past May, so why is my vig going to support a showcase matchup between the two?

I mean, donate it to a charity of the winner's choice, but this is insulting.

shaniac

Dynasty
09-12-2003, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why the hell should Pokerstars be giving a $10,000 freeroll to the two poker players in this world who don't need it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called advertising. This match-up is going to attract a lot of attention in the poker press and the name Pokerstats is going to be all over the place.

Do you also get upset when Pokerstars advertises in Card Player magazine? Or when they advertising on this website?

[ QUOTE ]
...so why is my vig going to support a showcase matchup between the two?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not your vig. That money belongs to the owners of Pokerstars. They can use it any way they want.

Rushmore
09-12-2003, 11:48 AM
"Insulting?!"

Well don't ask me what I do with my poker winnings, then. I'm afraid you might keel over and die.

Advertising is something that many businesses utilize. In fact, I heard that Hanes actually PAID Michael Jordan to walk around in their underwear.

And he ACCEPTED it!!

RiverMel
09-12-2003, 12:02 PM
You sound like the type of person who would say that sweatshops are 'exploiting' the workers. Just a hunch.

CrackerZack
09-12-2003, 12:07 PM
is it strange that i find myself clicking on your posts just to see bubb rubb?

Copernicus
09-12-2003, 12:16 PM
Its gets even worse than the Hanes deal. Tiger can get $1,000,000 of sponsors money just to show up at a Thailand golf tournament, and keep anything he wins in the tourney to boot!

Disgraceful.

In fact Moneymaker's upcoming book "Yet Another Goofball Catches Cards" (with forwards by Hellmuth and Varkonyi) will earn him a healthy advance, which he plans to "donate" to his favorite charity... his surgeon to tie off part of his stomach. His surgeon qualifies as a charitable organization because his work was deemed essential to national security by the Clinton Administration, since his clientele is comprised mainly of Susan Sarandon returning for her weekly tucks, and Johnny Depp, who needs continual work on his tongue to be able to speak out of both sides of his mouth at the same time..essential for as long as he's living in France, and Goldie Hawn, who has been indispensable in raising Kate Hudson to be a staunch anti-American in between her monthly face lifts.

Is this a poker board?

RiverMel
09-12-2003, 01:28 PM
What's strange is that you sub-consciously love my cunning insight and razor-sharp wit, yet your conscious mind has for one reason or another refused to acknowledge this, so your brain has created an alternative excuse for you to keep coming back.

Wingnut
09-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Nomination for funniest non-poker-related post of the year!

Rushmore
09-13-2003, 10:42 AM
Although I must agree with nearly every sentiment you express, and must second the nomination for Funniest Non-Poker Post, I take exception with one word:

"Disgraceful."

What's disgraceful about accepting money offered for a service? Is it disgraceful for them to offer (which they do in an effort to make a profit), or for Woods to accept (which, uh, he does in an effort to make, uh, a profit)?

Anyway, I think France will become the new Australia after the U.S. decides to exile all of our absurd, "enlightened,"
traitorous, "intellectual" bigmouth celebrities there.

We could have done that with Jerry Lewis a long time ago.

Hey Laaaaaaydeeee!

Kate Hudson doesn't want Ugly Americans asking the delicate French for "catsup." Maybe we'd fit in better if we asked for white flags.