PDA

View Full Version : Bet the turn?

34TheTruth34
09-12-2003, 12:46 AM
Here was a hand that I raised for a free card on the flop and was faced with a decision whether or not to bet the turn. What do you think?

The game is 5/10 with a kill. I won the last pot and post the kill in the CO position. This hand is being played at 10/20 with a $2 small blind and $5 big blind.

4 limpers and I look down to J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and check my option. Button and SB fold, BB calls, 6 way action, $62 in pot.

Flop 9-8-5 rainbow, giving me a double gutshot straight draw (but neither to the nuts). BB and 2 EP players check and MP player bets. The player to my right calls. These two players aren't really great players, but both play only good cards. The better is straightforward, he definitely has some part of the board. The caller has shown down good starting hands, but really hasn't bet or raised too much, so I don't know too much about him.

Anyway, I raise, which gets all the EP players behind me to fold. The other two just call. I was thinking I would check behind if I didn't make my hand on the turn.

Turn J, board still rainbow. Now I have top pair, bad kicker and double-gutshot straight draw. They both check. Now what? Bet or check and is it close?

Dynasty
09-12-2003, 12:48 AM
You definitely bet with top pair. What are you worried about?

JTG51
09-12-2003, 12:52 AM
Bet, and it's not close.

andyfox
09-12-2003, 01:48 AM
If it's close, and they've both checked, and I improved to top pair, I bet. If the bettor is indeed straightforward, wouldn't he likely have 3-bet on the flop with 2 pair or better?
There are still a lot of cards that can come on the river that will make you happy if, by some chance, you're currently behind.

MrGo
09-12-2003, 02:09 AM
I don't see the point in checking here. You hit your top pair...why be afraid? If you get raised, you have a plethora of outs.

34TheTruth34
09-12-2003, 11:47 AM
I posted the hand because I felt like I played it correctly, but had my doubts after the hands were showed down.

Anyway, I bet the turn. The MP player called and the player to my right check-raised. I unhappily called the extra $20 and then the MP three-bet and the player to my right capped. I finally folded. MP called.

River was a total blank and MP check-called. MP had 55 for the flopped set (that let me off cheap on the flop) and player to my right had T7 for the straight on the turn.

Like I said, I feel like I played it correctly, but whether I did or not, I sure put a lot of money into the pot with practically no outs. Had I checked behind on the turn like I planned, then MP bets the river, player to my right raises, and I fold saving $40. What do you guys think?