PDA

View Full Version : Good start for beginner?

10-06-2001, 11:31 PM
I would classify myself as a beginner. I don't know when I wouldn't be anymore. Been playing for close to 20yrs but not weekly anymore or monthly for that matter. I have not really "studied" the game. Hence, beginner still. What would be some good books on Hold 'em ( I know there are a ton ) this is why I need some good feed back. I have flipped through Hold 'em for Advanced Players, and Winning Low Limit... but I don't know what info. I should be picking up on. Thank you for the feed back.

-freedom

10-07-2001, 10:22 AM
Strongly suggest you pick up on everything between the covers of those two books and post questions where you need more insight to understand...

Its a fact that with 20 years of experience that it does not indicate a skill level.. there are likely many leaks..

Your honesty is admirable for someone with those years of playing

You MUST get ..Theory Of Poker....& ...Poker Essays1..& ..Inside The Poker Mind...

Trust me if you grasp just the very minimal concepts etc you`ll recover your investment a hundredfold with disciplined play...

Proper decision making requires a good knowledge of(theory) poker and consistently good judgement in your poker decisions which only is acquired through a strong foundation and experience...

Your current books are very good so you need to intensely study them...Please remember HFAP is full of advanced concepts from the WLL book which is more of an introduction...

Suggest you digest WLL first....

Repair the foundation leaks...

Also no one ever always agrees with everything the author says so if you wonder about something just post and you`ll get many different approaches to the question...Which makes great food for thought...

jg

10-17-2001, 04:09 PM
I would suggest Gary Carson's "Complete Book of HE Poker," then "Winning LLHE" by Jones, then "HEPFAP21CE," then "Theory of Poker."

I really liked Malmuth's "Poker Essays" series. I think number three was best. Also the Feeney book. If you have trouble with poker math, get "Getting the Best of It."