PDA

View Full Version : Help calculating odds after flop

revoohc
09-11-2003, 09:02 PM
I need some help trying to calculate odds.

I am working on my game using Wilsons Turbo Texas Holdem. Anyway, the system is running a $20/$40 game. I have a K /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif in the small blind. 4 players see the flop.

When the betting returns to me after my initial check, the pot is at $287. The call is $60 which gives me pot odds of 4.78:1. I think I should fold, but I am having problem figuring out my card odds.

The flop is T /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

This gives me the following possibilities:
1. an inside straight (4 J's)
2. Backdoor flush (QJT9876532 of /images/graemlins/club.gif)
3. Trips (A, K, Q, T, 4)
4. Two pairs
5. Pairs

Questions:

1. Do you count all of the possibilities?
2. How do you quickly calculate these sort of odds when playing?

Thanks,

revoohc

Bozeman
09-11-2003, 09:34 PM
I would count just the jacks and one out for the backdoor flush, giving me 5 (you probably want to discount further since the jacks make a split possible or likely).

8.4:1 ?

If there will be no betting on the turn, you have about 10 one card equivalent outs (or five outs twice), so about 3.7:1 odds are needed.

So you could call if everyone was allin,
Craig

ccwhoelse?
09-11-2003, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you quickly calculate these sort of odds when playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't. you should know some of the more common odds off hand and just know that long shot draws go a long way as far as adding to your chance of improving your hand to the best hand. so if a backdoor flush or an inside straight draw is your only chance to win, then you might not want to continue, but coupled with other outs it turns a fold into a call.

Brian
09-12-2003, 03:32 AM
I agree with the other posters here, just wanted to add that when you are looking at your outs in a situation such as this one, the pot may not be laying you as good of odds as you think. For example, if you count a J as an out, you could easily be drawing to a split pot (anyone else with a K), which cuts your odds in half.

-Brian

chaos
09-12-2003, 01:10 PM
So the flop betting went you check, bet, raise, reraise and now it is back to you. I would expect it to get capped behind you. So it will cost $80 and the other players capping and calling would bring the pot total up to $407. You are getting just over 5 to 1 on a call here. Your only real out is a Jack and that may be to split pot. The odds of hitting your inside straight draw are 43 to 4 or almost 11 to 1. You back door flush is not going to make much of a difference. This is a clear fold.

Terry
09-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Also note that if you do catch a King or two, anyone with a Jack has made a straight.