PDA

View Full Version : Public Little Concerned About Patriot Act

adios
09-10-2003, 06:24 PM
Public Little Concerned About Patriot Act (http://www.gallup.com/poll/releases/pr030909.asp)

This issue came up last night in the Democratic "debate." One of the questions asked (I forget to whom) was about popular support for the Patriot Act and what would you do in spite of that report. The figure quoted was 69% of USA citizens support the Patriot Act. This Gallup poll seems to be slightly ad odds with the questioners statement. A quote from the article:

"Public Little Concerned About Patriot Act
Wants civil liberties respected, but feels Bush administration has not gone "too far" in restricting liberties."

Perhaps the Democrats need to educate the public as to the threat to civil liberties if they feel one exists because right now the public doens't seem to feel there is much of a threat.

brad
09-10-2003, 08:00 PM
well i posted just yesterday that the plan is to threat asses color code each airline passenger, with the result that of all the people who show up at the airport (ie, they wont tell u what your color code is) , 1-2% of them will not be allowed to fly.

just wait until 3 or 4 people from each flight are not allowed to fly. especially the people who are wrongly banned from flying and have to go thru beaurocratic nightmare to get off no fly list.

the thing is there are quite a few things like this which require a lot of planning and infrastructure and are full stream ahead but not yet implemented.

ACPlayer
09-10-2003, 09:04 PM
To better help me understand where I should stand on this issue.Here is an open ended question. Looking for just types of activities laws behaviours, not looking for motives behinds the laws/behaviours. That would be for the analysis section.

The question:

What activities by the government makes a particular state a police state?

brad
09-10-2003, 10:53 PM
'What activities by the government makes a particular state a police state? '

in that one famous ww2 book (rise and fall of the 3rd reich i think) this question is answered for germany.

it was a precise moment.

it was when the federal german government took control of all police activity (ie, placed all county or whatever and city police under central goveernment jurisdicition.)

thats the gist of it, maybe some can nitpick it, but its basically correct.