PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my next book.

09-28-2001, 03:18 AM
I'm currently a low limit player. I fluctuate between loose-tight/agressive play, and I can tell I'm still in the process of learning and getting more experience.

I have and am still re-reading and digesting the following books:

HPFAP

inside the poker mind by feeney

psych. of poker, by alan s.

I've have the following but haven't touched them in a while:

hold'em exc. by krieger

low limit HE by jones

So recommend two from the following list: (i have excluded some books b/c bn.com has these on 24hr stock)

poker essays vol 1

theory of poker

sklansky on poker

gambling theory and etc.. by malmuth

commplete guide to HE by carson (this seems to be new, reviews anyone?)

Please write a capsule review on the books you would recommend next to get. thanks!!!

09-28-2001, 03:35 AM
I would recommend the Theory of Poker, as everyone else has. Butmy personal favorite of all of the books you listed is MAsons Gambling Theory and Other Topics. You may not find it strategically helpful to your poker game, but for issues liek bankroll and understanding fluctuations it is of paramount importance.

Also, there is a section on Gambling Fantasy which includes some of the best and funniest poker stories I have read in any book, especially the sections on the best and worst gamblers in history. Lets just say Mason obviously knows his Civil War history.

Pat

09-28-2001, 03:41 AM
poker essays vol III...make the quantum leap now...gl...much of poker is understanding what level you are at and making appropriate corrections...read mason's most recent works.. Vol (III), then work back...top a must gl...

09-28-2001, 04:28 AM
The Theory of Poker......

Greatest poker book ever written.

That's all that has to be said.

Later,

CJ

09-28-2001, 04:50 AM
I haven't read the Carson book but I would recommend all the other books on your list. However, CJ has it right. You should read and study The Theory of Poker next.

09-28-2001, 05:09 AM
Okay, I just ordered Theory of Poker.

Mason: Do you have a favorite volume of essays? vol 1, 2, or the upcoming 3?

thanks

09-28-2001, 01:33 PM
If I have a favorite book it is probably Gambling Theory and Other Topics.

09-28-2001, 04:42 PM
From your list, I would recommend "Theory Of Poker" by David Sklansky first. This is a good, thinking book to read once you have gained a few hundred hours of playing experience. It explains some of the key concepts of poker that apply to all poker games.

My second choice would be "Gambling Theory And Other Topics" by Mason Malmuth. The reason this book is important is because it explains what standard deviation is and how to compute your own personal standard deviation. It provides you with some unique tools in guiding you as to what the long run is, how big a bankroll you need, and other important topics.