PDA

View Full Version : Sense of Humor (VIEW)

thomastem
09-10-2003, 04:04 PM
How impotant is a sense of humor at the poker table/PC?

I've noticed that if I mention that I have a pet Jabba the hutz that people call me more often.

CrackerZack
09-10-2003, 04:13 PM
I find I get more calls when I type "I have AA" in the chat box.

Also when I play like blinky, I get more calls too.

thomastem
09-10-2003, 04:29 PM
Who is Blinky? I should have asked the question differently I will make a new post.

Zele
09-10-2003, 04:47 PM
In one sense, I don't think it's that important. Table image just doesn't play a huge role in most poker games (for further discussion of this, see PE#1 or several of Mason's posts.) In another, it's very important, as happiness and laughter have a positive effect on the psyche and will therefore make one a better poker player.

Easy E
09-10-2003, 04:54 PM

CrackerZack
09-10-2003, 05:13 PM
blinky is the 3-eyed fish on the simpsons.

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Being pleasant and polite definitely has a good effect, especially on fish. People mind losing their money less when you're perceived as a nice guy than when you act like a pendejo.

clovenhoof
09-11-2003, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How impotant is a sense of humor at the poker table/PC?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing impotent about a sense of humor. As for importance, it's not so important online, but it's huge in a B&M game. As Mason says in Gambling Theory and Other Topics, "the best play that one can make in poker is for a live one, when he walks into a card room, to request to get into your game because you are sitting in it." I don't know that that happens with online play, simply because of a lack of recognition of who's at other tables in the room. You can't hear laughter coming from a different online table.

'hoof

Stagemusic
09-12-2003, 08:54 AM
I can't emphasize this enough. I started out recently adding more humor to my games online and have seen a significant increase in my win %. A "loose" (and I don't mean the poker definition) table does create a "looser" (and I DO mean the poker definition) table. It seems that people are waiting to hear what I have to say next instead of really concentrating so much on the play. I am seeing a lot of chat comments like "Crap, I didn't mean to do that", then laughter (LOL). Also, I've noticed that picking on the table bully and every table has one in one form or another, is also +ev for me.

I don't use barnyard animals very much /images/graemlins/wink.gif but, since I do live next door to a deputy sherrif who has a Bear, 2 Zebras, 6 Buffalo, 4 Emu's, a few Deer, used to own a Lion, and has an Elephant buried on his property, I have the opportunity to relate a few barnyard tales. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I am of the opinion that if you make the game fun you will win more.