PDA

View Full Version : General rules for playing big unsuited cards pre-flop

Jezebel
09-10-2003, 12:57 PM
I find that playing the big unsuited cards pre-flop correctly to be challenging. I consider AJ, KQ, KJ, KT, AT, QJ to be the big unsuiteds that can cause problems if not played correctly. AK and AQ I consider premium hands and are not what I am categorizing as big unsuited. Thinking back on my play, I have tried to form some generalizations about how I play these hands and would apperciate any comments. These are general how I play these hands and don't include times that I rarely vary for deception.

Early Position: I'll limp with KQ and fold the rest.

Middle and Late Positon: I treat them all as bump or dump, except KQ which I'll limp with after several limpers if the table is passive. For the rest of the hands, if two or less limpers ahead I'll raise. If more than two limpers I'll fold. If first in or one limper ahead, I'll raise. If 1 raise is in front, I'll reraise depending on opponent or fold.

Two additional hands that I won't play unless on the button are QT and JT. QT only if lst in or behind a LP limper. JT only if a whole army of limpers are in front.

Comments on my general way of playing these hands would be appreciated. Thanks.

SirFoldsAlot
09-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Raise with the KQ in the early position. If you get called or re-raised at least you know your up against a big hand, plus you are going to call a LP raise if you limp or better yet re-raise. Depending on the limits it might just get folded to the blinds.

Jezebel
09-10-2003, 01:59 PM
KQo has always been a tough one for me to play. How well does it do multiway? I don't see KQo as strong enoungh hand to raise from EP regularly. You have the worst position for the rest of the hand and if anyone calls two cold or reraises you could easily be in trouble. Reraising with KQo would be a deception play that can become very expensive if you pick the wrong spot. I would have to be playing in a VERY tight passive game to raise with KQo from EP. I'd have to be against a very weak tight to reraise. Maybe I'm wrong, but enlighten me if I am.

SirFoldsAlot
09-10-2003, 02:09 PM
KQo Stats

Dealt 64 Times 1 & 2 position

When raising I win 85%, but only 60% at showdown but overall highly positive $$$

When limping I am slightly under 70%, positve $$$ but not as much as raising

Thats my experience.

When limping and reraiseing, I have only done three times and took the pot twice, no showdowns

citanul
09-10-2003, 02:24 PM
I think that QJo and JTo are real problem hands. There's been a lot of talk about them previously, but I believe the concensus was that they are generally money losers. I may be mistaking QJo for QTo, which you may or may not be playing right, I don't know.

KTo and KJo are also often discussed as probable money losers, with KTo more likely to lose you money.

Personally, I hate the play of JTo from the button with an army of limpers... What are you going to flop that's going to be good? Your pairs are dubious, (esp if other people are into limping with QJ, KT, etc) so I only really see this with a huge multiway pot as hoping for a flop of a straight or a straight draw. Not so good... JTs is another story, since the flush odds I thik tip it in your favor.

davidross
09-10-2003, 04:48 PM
FWIW,

In a normal game (Paradise 5/10 for example). I will play AJ from anywhere for a raise, and with 2 limpers will limp too. WIth one limper I decide what he's likely to limp with and raise or limp accordingly. I fold it and any of the other hands to a raise.

KQ ond AT I will play from 4 off the button, again open raising, or calling with 2 or more limpers.

KJ and QJ I will play from 3 off the button but usually just limping unless the table has been very tight.

KT and QT and JT I play from the cutoff or Button.

In the loose 3/6 games at Party though I will play AT and KQ from anywhere for a raise. I get cold called by more dominated hands than I run in to dominating hands.

I don't like raising any of these hands after 2 limpers because you almost always have to hit your hand to win, and quite often you aren't best at this point. I prefer to wait and bump it with position if I hit.

rigoletto
09-10-2003, 05:12 PM
How well does it do multiway? I don't see KQo as strong enoungh hand to raise from EP regularly.

The reason you raise KQo from EP is because it doesn't play well multiway!

Lunamondo
09-10-2003, 07:50 PM
If KQ is playable from early positions it's playable because some looser player has just limped, in case I think I would raise, and in case some looser player(s) are in the game, in case I open-limp with it, perhaps from the 4B also (the first middle position) if I don't rate to get isolated.

The extra hands that are not usually playable are limping hands for me; just because they have some extra value to do that; and only if they rate to have more value with a raise, instead of a limp or a fold, will the raise be better.