PDA

View Full Version : de-evolution of a player

07-31-2002, 08:18 PM
very recently i feel like my play has taken a turn from the worse. I play pretty small stakes (1-5 spread, and PLHE and PLOH, but the cash in is like 20 bucks so it's not all that different), but it seems like i can't get anything by anyone. I feel like i have been getting cold cards lately but that's no excuse. I used to always have the big stack but it just seems like i have lost all confidence in bluffing and even semi bluffing, anybody experience a lack of confidence for no reason ever? what did you do if it happened?

07-31-2002, 08:50 PM
pot limit may look like small stakes, but even a 1-2 PL table can cost a bunch. be careful...

if your bluffs arent working, stop trying it. show down some strong winning hands. then when they start folding a little more, try it.

sounds like you have trouble adjusting a little to what your image may be. gauge it on the reaction to your play by teh table...

also, you may be bored and want to play more hands. this is what separates the winners and losers. the winners can wait for hours on end for that spot to open. the losers get bored and start playing marginal hands and pushing them too far.

this may or may not apply, but might be worth a look.

hope this helps a little...

b

07-31-2002, 09:37 PM

08-01-2002, 12:48 AM
practice reading hands better. that may be your problem. if you know what they most likely have you can make the best play.

at those stakes bluffing is less important than playing your hand skillfully with decent cards.

08-01-2002, 11:25 AM
Bernie,

I too have been thinking on this subject and you just made "the light go on". After reflection, I have been pushing hands too far, and entering with marginal cards. It seems to happen to me when there is a few people at the table who are winning with these same types of hands! So, my game needs work on the discipline side..

Laddy

08-01-2002, 11:50 AM
glad to help...

it is a patience game...

remember when watching a table, keep track of the texture, loose/tight etc., but also how they react to 'you'. just because its loose or even aggressive doesnt mean it will be that way when you enter the pot. image depends on this. are you getting action or are they folding fast when your in. this is one way to measure when to adjust your play.

ive been on the tables that were loose and kind of aggressive til i came in on a hand. then everyone calms. 'uh oh he's in' they say...and they get timid about betting into me. kinda funny to watch really.

of course ive also been on the table where they just call anything to see if they can win. they dont care who it is. no bluffing on that table for awhile. very different ways of playing both situations, and both can happen in one session on the same table.

"It seems to happen to me when there is a few people at the table who are winning with these same types of hands! "

if its just these say, 3 players trading pots, theyre not making much. the pots are about the same size and its been going between 3 different stacks. the rake is beating them. but since your not in as often, the rake isnt affecting you as much. let em swirl chips for awhile, then come in and take a scoop out once in awhile. then wait for the spot again. like a predator waiting for the right spot to catch his prey. the lion waiting for the weak one to expose himself. but know your surroundings and what tools will work at the time...

there's some visuals for ya...

b