PDA

View Full Version : The Best of Two Plus Two

09-24-2001, 12:05 AM
David and I are kicking around the idea of doing a best of the Two Plus Two Forums book. That is we would work our way through the archieves and republish the best threads including the best posts. Of course we would have to get posters permission to reuse their posts in this manner. How do you all feel about this?

09-24-2001, 02:19 AM
Great idea. Some of the stuff i read on these forums is remarkably good.

09-24-2001, 04:03 AM
I think its a great idea.

You could also kick around the idea of putting a "best of" link to the archives for future posts that aren't included in the books. That's easy to set up. This could be less formal than a book, and wouldn't require the rigorous technical correctness that is the twoplustwo trademark (for example you could include something by SPM).

I have spent hundreds of hours reading the archives and it is a valuable resource. Its a bit of a nightmare to navigate and takes patience and a good eye to ferret out what's important and what's not, however. It's a job and a half. Pick the right bird to do the dirty work.

Regards.

09-24-2001, 04:20 AM
It's a good idea and here's a suggestion.

Some of the most interesting threads have ended

with no resolution and with little or no comment from either

Malmouth or Sklansky or Zee.

We all know that poker players have an opinion on just about everything.

So I think the book would be more interesting if our hosts would comment

on the threads that they find interesting enough to publish and, yet,

for some reason or another, did not participate in at the time.

09-24-2001, 07:40 AM
nt

09-24-2001, 11:29 AM
This is a great idea Mason. I hope you and David go through with it.

Best wishes,

Mike

09-24-2001, 02:00 PM
Sounds great!

Ken Poklitar

09-24-2001, 04:30 PM
(n/t)

09-24-2001, 04:53 PM
I think this would be a good idea if the only audience were twoplustwo members. But from the business perspective of marketing a book to the public i am not certain that it would be well received.

People buy poker books on the presumption that they are getting expert advice. A mere reading of twoplustwo threads may not have appeal to the poker playing public, since there is no guarantee that they will be getting "expert" advice. Also it is much less likely to be a focused presentation succinctly explaining and discussing important topics, which is something that I take into account when reading and evaluating the poker literature I have read. I am not sure that others value this, but since 2+2 books generally do have focused, succinct explanations for the principles discussed, i suspect that others value this as well.

If you do decide to publish such a book, I think comment by Mason, David, Zee or Feeney would be a necessity for each thread. Otherwise they can just look on the website. Also, I presume that it will not be limited to just holdem, but will include omaha, stud and general theory.

I am not certain that it is a bad idea, i just am also not certain that it is a good one. Sorry!

Pat

09-24-2001, 06:34 PM
...You have to comment the threads. And for "you" I intend Mason Malmuth or Ray Zee.

A great section of the book might be "internet games" where there's a literature's lack.

Marco

09-24-2001, 09:32 PM
I agree. The Best of Two Plus Two would be a great addition to your web site, but not a book. I've purchased most of your books, but I doubt that I would add this one to my library.

09-24-2001, 11:21 PM
Mason,

I think it would be interesting, but I'm concerned about bad information in quite a bit of the posts, so I hope that you and David provide good editing and explanations. It could be interesting if you expain why the bad posts and responses are bad.

Futhermore, I hope that you include a section from the Tournament Forum. I think a book alone on this subject would be better than any of the current tournaments. I believe this forum has both terrible and excellent advice on strategy and would make an even better book.

Good Luck

Mark

09-25-2001, 08:20 AM
n/t

09-25-2001, 05:42 PM

09-26-2001, 07:58 PM
I too think it is a great idea, and I would buy it in a flash.

I do think that Patrick might be right about the business prospects. I am totally amazed at the number of people I sit with at the table who either do not have internet access, or, if they do, have never seen 2+2 or RGP.

I also agree with several other posters that you 2+2 authors need to add significant commentary on most threads that get published. The book buyers are going to want YOUR opinion, not mine.

I freely give MY permission in advance, but I might want to switch to my real full name if I'm going to get published in a real book.

Dick

09-30-2001, 12:52 PM
You may find tracking down everyone to ask for permission to be more difficult than you suspect. Best of luck.

10-02-2001, 01:03 AM
Mason:

Great idea; go for it!

However, the challenge is whether or not to confine your subject to only HE, 7CS, 7CS/8 and Omaha/8. If you decide to include all of the games listed in a single book, you probably will miss out on many valuable points addressed in the Forum on any signle game.

Another suggestion is to structure your future book content in the order of: game selection, starting hands/positions, play blinds, early, middle and late position, flop, turn and river play. Over the past several years, there is treasure of invaluable posts and corresponding replies on variety of subjects and games of poker.

Good luck with it. I think it is a marvelous idea.

Ivan

10-06-2001, 01:44 PM
Mason:

Do it, but make sure that you, David, and/or Ray write a concluding section for every thread. The popularity of forums, newsgroups, and talk radio clearly indicates there is a market for non-experts' opinions, but people want more than that when they pay for a book.