PDA

View Full Version : What's my next "must have" book??

09-20-2001, 05:26 PM
I have Winning Low Limit Hold'em, Theory of Poker , Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players, and a couple of Mike Caro books. What does this forum believe is a must have to add? I mainly play $3-6 and $5-10 Hold'em and may consider moving up a notch within the next year or so as I improve.

G.

09-20-2001, 06:22 PM
Championship limit hold'em by McEvoy and Stern

09-20-2001, 07:34 PM
I would recommend either The Psychology of Poker, by Allen Schoonmaker, or Inside the Poker Mind, by John Feeney. I have both, and they are great.

Another good one would by Roy Cooke's book - Real Poker The Cooke Collection. This is a good book that touches on a lot of subjects related to playing poker. It's also written by one of the top mid-limit players in Vegas. I've read it once, and am re-reading it again for study.

As far as other recommendations, I would suggest you get books on the games you plan to play. There are some great ones on this site, and you can look at some other posts on this forum to help you out!

Good Luck,

TDK

09-20-2001, 08:02 PM

09-20-2001, 10:26 PM
without any doubt in my mind you must get Feeneys book and roy cookes book. But cookes book in my opinion overly emphasizes psychology, and in many ways is not practical for many players especially novices. On the other hand I have no concerns about recommending it, and it is definitely a must have. I just think feeneys book is better.

pat

09-20-2001, 10:45 PM
I just finished reading Roy Cooke's and Gary Carson's books. I highly recommend both of them. I also recommend John Feeney's. You can't help but gain something by reading these three.

09-21-2001, 08:27 AM
Where can Cooke's book be purchased? I've looked at Amazon, half.com, ConJelCo and 2+2 with no luck.

09-21-2001, 06:38 PM
I thank this forum for the suggestions. I have ordered "Inside the Poker Mind: Essays on Hold 'em and General Poker."

G.

09-21-2001, 10:03 PM

09-22-2001, 09:17 AM
i agree...and you may even find, it improves your general overall psychological well-being...or at least challenges you to become more of the person you are capable of being...gl..

09-22-2001, 04:56 PM
I guess they are all sold out. I checked all the web book sites I know, and none of them had it. The only thing I can suggest is trying one of the used book services.