PDA

View Full Version : Probability Book?

ChicagoNorm
09-09-2003, 10:47 PM
Hello all,

I am curious if any of you know of a book, or a web page that can help me out with odds, and probability. I was considering taking a Probability/Statistics class at a local college, but if there is a book out, I would rather do that.
Thanks for your help...

Copernicus
09-09-2003, 11:06 PM
Mike Petriv's Hold Em Odds book does a good job of teaching the probability calculations you need for poker, approaching things logically, and in multiple ways if applicable.

Start with that. If it goes too fast, check out the Society of Actuaries web site. I believe its www.soa.org (http://www.soa.org), but im not positive, do a search if not. There should be a tab for the texts they use for their examinations, and whatever they use for proability will be good. You can probably order it directly from them as well.

ChicagoNorm
09-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Cop,

Thanks a million for the quick response. I will get reading and see what I find...

Thanks again...
Cheers,
Norm

StevieG
09-10-2003, 09:51 AM
I just ordered it online from http://www.gamblers-world.com in Arizona. Their price was much less than the listing on Amazon.

That was two days ago, so it is yet to arrive, but the process has been smooth so far.

Copernicus
09-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Have fun!

The Society of Actuaries web site doesnt make it easy to find the probability books they use, and they dont appear to be available there. If Petriv's book assumes too much knowledge and you want a more scholastic text treatment, the following are what the SoA uses. (sorry, they dont seem to provide the publisher)

A First Course in Probability, Ross
Fundamentals of Probability, Gharamani

ChicagoNorm
09-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Thanks a million for all of the help. It will all come in handy...

Cheers,
Norm

PrimeRoll
09-10-2003, 02:09 PM
Hey Stevie,

Please let me know if that book is good/easy to understand.

Thanks

StevieG
09-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Will do.

Once I get a chance to go through I hope to post a review in the books forum.

-SG

chaos
09-11-2003, 08:34 AM
I would recommend Richard Epstein's "The Theory of Gambling and Statistical Logic" for a scholarly type textbook. It is the classic in the field. You will need some math background to get through it.

It is available from Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble.

StevieG
09-11-2003, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is available from Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble.

[/ QUOTE ]

With excerpts on Amazon, no less.

Any book that starts with an intro titled "Kubeiagenesis" is definitely targeting an academic audience.

Thanks for the reco.

NoTalent
09-17-2003, 08:51 AM
If you don't mind reading it in pdf (or you can print out the pages you want) here is a free book "Introduction to Probability. It goes over all the aspects that you would find interesting for poker.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chance/teaching_aids/books_articles/probability_book/book.html

EasyTiger
09-18-2003, 10:40 AM
Plse let me know whether you found the book useful; I'm also considering buying a copy

NoTalent
09-18-2003, 02:56 PM
EasyTiger--check it out yourself. It is an introductory probability book, and it goes over some intersting things. It has been helpful to me. I'd suggest printing out the first two chapter (or just reading it on your computer). Do some of the exercises in the back (most deal with simulation, so do the pencil/paper exercises) and see if it is for you. If so--then you can buy it.

I found it useful as a refresher to basic probability (its been a few years since I took a class) so I could calulate my odds properly.

Regards
-NoTalent