PDA

View Full Version : 7-Card Stud Books?

09-18-2001, 03:44 PM
Can anyone recommend some good 7-Card Stud books for a beginner? I've been playing hold 'em for about a year now, and I'm looking to start learning a new game.

I know that 7cs for Advanced Players is sold on this site, but I believe that I should start with something more basic, since my current stud knowledge covers essentially nothing except for the rules of the game.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Six_of_One

09-18-2001, 08:48 PM
Get 7-card stud by Roy West. Read this book and apply the teachings and theories in some low-limit games to start. When you feel more confortable with 7-card stud and can beat low limit games consistently, study the 7CSFAP and move up to middle limits.

G Luck!

09-19-2001, 04:54 AM
If you have no basic knowledge of seven-card stud then a great book to start out with is Roy Wests' Seven Card Stud. It's concepts are not nearly as complicated as what you will find in 7-stud for advanced players. It is also based on a much lower stake game than the advanced book previously mentioned ($15-$30). A stake which is probably higher and to to complex for you to be involving yourself in right now.

09-19-2001, 11:18 AM
although I am sure that you know this, you must also reread Theory of Poker and try to think about examples of applying the principles to stud. Also, if you have some poker knowledge, you will still benefit from 7CSFAP, especially in conjunction with Wests book.

Pat

09-19-2001, 12:11 PM
Another good book for 7-stud is SuperSytem, by Doyle Brunson and company. Since this is an older book, some of the strategies in different sections (hold'em being the main one) are outdated, but Chip's section on stud play is excellent. And I mean excellent by TODAY'S standards, too.

It is a pricey book, but well worth it for some of the tips as well as the nostalgic value of having a classic!

TDK

09-19-2001, 02:57 PM
you are right, the section in supersystem on stud is excellent.

Pat

09-20-2001, 06:30 PM
I agree with late posters. In Super System there are many good points about stud. But the best book at least for on-line players is Othmer's book. Having no tips about the on-line players tells, knowing all the stud statistics helps very much.

Marco