PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod & Poker

Jedster
09-09-2003, 12:25 PM
So there I was making a small comeback at the Bellagio 30-60 (wow have I run bad this week!) and I look over at one of the 15-30 games and there is a guy who is the spitting image of....Alex Rodriguez.

Wait!

It is A-Rod.

Playing 15-30 after signing a $250M contract. I couldn't see how he was doing, but he didn't have a big posse around him as far as I could see.

Did anyone here play with him? I wonder how well he played, and how well he did.

Anyway, I think it's pretty cool that A-Rod would decide to play Hold 'Em instead of craps.

-Jed

Homer
09-09-2003, 12:30 PM
There's a thread about this at RGP. Apparently, he had a little card with the hand rankings (flush beats straight, straight beats trips, etc) that he had to keep looking at. So, he likely isn't an expert Hold'em player.

-- Homer

CrackerZack
09-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Josh W made a comment about it also entitled something like "Over bankrolled"

Vehn
09-09-2003, 12:50 PM
Wait - you mean people play without those?

Rushmore
09-09-2003, 01:18 PM
I always discourage players from using those hand-ranking cards, because I feel it gives them an unfair advantage.

andyfox
09-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Maybe he had been lurking on 2+2 and wasn't sure if a flush really does beat a straight.

lockitup
09-09-2003, 05:22 PM
The biggest laugh I've ever gotten at a table was at a tense 8-16 at the Bellagio. Ok, it wasn't that tense. But it was approaching dawn, so it was quiet.

Anyhow, there was a sizeable pot by the turn, and when I got bet into, I very stressfully looked at the dealer, said "TIME," and pulled the hand ranking card out of my shirt pocket... then said, confidently, "RAISE!"

The dealer nearly had to call for an oxygen runner.

budman
09-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Where can I get a card like that? It sounds like it could really take my game to the next level.

Why wouldn't two plus two sell something like that?

Stew
09-09-2003, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where can I get a card like that? It sounds like it could really take my game to the next level.

Why wouldn't two plus two sell something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can buy them at almost any gift shop in Vegas, certainly at the Bellagio/Mirage, etc. I've got a box on order now. J/K, but I do have one and I'm taking it to my home game tourney this Saturday (We're playing two tables for first time) and I'm gonna use as a prop for the new deadmoney clods that are in town.

M2d
09-09-2003, 09:11 PM
what was he doing there? isn't he supposed to be at work?

southerndog
09-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Nice one..

mikelow
09-09-2003, 10:27 PM
This wasn't during the season was it?

Hope he's better than Michael Jordan.

Dynasty
09-09-2003, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what was he doing there? isn't he supposed to be at work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Monday was a day off for Arod and the Rangers. They were in Minnesota on Sunday and Seattle on Tuesday. I don't see anything wrong with Arod making a side trip to Las Vegas for the night off if there aren't any team practices (which I'm sure there weren't).

Wake up CALL
09-09-2003, 11:55 PM
Anyway, I think it's pretty cool that A-Rod would decide to play Hold 'Em instead of craps.

Depending on ones' level of skill craps could be much better action than 15/30 at the Bellagio.