PDA

View Full Version : Party 3/6... fold small 2 pair at the river?

Sooga
09-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Party Poker 3/6 game... typically loose game, though this one is not as passive as some I've been on.

I'm on the button with 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif I'm ready to muck but see 3 limpers, so I figure oh what the hell, this is marginal but I'm bored, so I limp. SB folds, BB checks. Five to the flop:

** Dealing Flop ** : [ 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, A /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]

BB checks, 1st limper checks, 2nd limper bets, 3rd limper folds, I call, now BB check raises. I'm not sure what this means, I haven't seen this guy play enough. Two pair? Who knows. Limper calls, I call. Three to the turn:

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, A /images/graemlins/heart.gif ] [ T /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]

BB bets, limper calls, I call. Three to the river:

** Dealing River ** : [ 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, A /images/graemlins/heart.gif, T /images/graemlins/spade.gif ] [ 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]

BB now checks, limper now bets... is this an easy fold?

GrinningBuddha
09-08-2003, 10:17 PM
Easy? No. Fold? Maybe. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

One of the reasons that low suited connectors are hard to play is that even two pair doesn't win it's fair share.

That said, do you think that the limper would have bet the flop with a 2? Really the only hand I can think of that made a straight would be A2. BB may have check-raised with 64, and now checks having missed his draw. I think you may win this enough to call here, but I'd close my eyes before I hit the 'call' button. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

johnb
09-08-2003, 11:58 PM
The pot has gotten rather sizeable here. I think you have to call.

With an inside straight draw, a pair, and a four flush, does anyone raise the turn?

Robk
09-09-2003, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The pot has gotten rather sizeable here. I think you have to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. Easy call.

[ QUOTE ]
With an inside straight draw, a pair, and a four flush, does anyone raise the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. With 17 outs against top pair and two opponents I think you should value raise. I would also reraise on the flop. You have a big draw and may be able to take a free card if you need it. The main reason you can play more hands on the button is that you can use your position to get slightly more value from your hands. You missed two chances to use your position IMO. BTW I think the preflop call is fine.

Clarkmeister
09-09-2003, 01:40 AM
You should raise the flop.

Gabe
09-09-2003, 02:20 AM
You should have raised the turn.

Sooga
09-09-2003, 05:01 AM
After some deliberation, I called, BB called. Turned out I was in last place, limper had 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the straight and BB had A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for flopped 2 pair. Looking back, raising the flop probably would have been the best play, though at the time I didn't do it because I didn't feel as though I should try to knock people out with my draw. I didn't consider the possibility that I may have had the best hand.

Tosh
09-09-2003, 07:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but I'm bored,

[/ QUOTE ]

This limp is ok but don't justify it by saying you were bored.

Cigwin
09-09-2003, 11:33 AM
To help a novice, why wouldn't a fold after the flop be appropriate? He flopped a medium pair, gutbuster straight, and backdoor flush. With any limper playing any Ax, he's got to be way behind.

Homer
09-09-2003, 11:43 AM
To help a novice, why wouldn't a fold after the flop be appropriate? He flopped a medium pair, gutbuster straight, and backdoor flush. With any limper playing any Ax, he's got to be way behind.

He's getting immediate odds of 6:1 to call on the flop. He could have up to 10-11 outs (2 5's, 3 4's, 4 2's and 1-2 for the backdoor flush draw), which makes him a little over 3:1 against improving on the turn. Since these odds are better than the pot odds, he should at least call.

-- Homer

Cigwin
09-09-2003, 12:16 PM
Thanks Homer,

I understand now, but aren't the 3 4's likely to still make him second best given that players will limp with any ace. Even so he'd still be 5:1 with 6:1 pot odds.