PDA

View Full Version : same name on internet poker sites?

Yuletak
09-08-2003, 09:09 PM
hello, folks,

was wondering if many of you use the same handles on say Party as you do here? i've seen some of you on Party, but just wondering about the rest.

yui

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-09-2003, 10:02 AM
I use the same name on Paradise and True, a similar but recognizable name on 'Stars, but I use a different handle on Party.

ElSapo
09-09-2003, 10:15 AM
I use the same name pretty much everywhere. The exception is Intertops, but I still haven't figured out what my name is there since they dropped about 19 numbers after my initials and then let me pick an entirely different name in addition. Or something like that.

Al_Capone_Junior
09-09-2003, 10:38 AM
I use the name "SteelBallsD" on all sites I play at.

Anyone can feel free to say hello if they see me on party, paradise, or elsewhere. You'll usually find me playing no limit ring games or SNGs.

al

jasonHoldEm
09-09-2003, 10:46 AM
Currently I use the same everywhere, but I think I might sign up with intertops (or whatever the new party skin of the month is called) under something different and go incognito. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

jHE

ChipWrecked
09-09-2003, 11:59 AM
I use so many different handles I need a spreadsheet to keep them all straight...

davidross
09-09-2003, 12:32 PM
I've discussed this with some people already. I use the same name at the tables as I use here. I know some people like to keep "disguised", and I'm curious to hear why. IF there is a financial benefit to it I would certainly consider doing it, but I really can't think of one.

No matter what name you use, if you are a good player you will be recognized as such pretty quickly. I don't play 2+2'ers any differently than other good players, I just stay out of their way.

Is it just a "fun to be incognito" thing?

MrDannimal
09-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Right now, I'm certainly not skilled enough to be playing at the limits where I'd even need to consider "hiding", nor do I play often enough. So I take the "same handle = easier to remember" tack, and am MrDannimal everywhere.

Bozeman
09-09-2003, 02:30 PM
David,

You wouldn't have to worry about 2+2ers letting the fish know that you are a pro, or other unwanted discussion topics if you used a different posting name. I use Bozeman on 'Stars, Party, and UB (I started there, but haven't played there in a year), but a different one on Paradise, for apocryphal and strange software reasons.

Craig

Kurn, son of Mogh
09-09-2003, 02:30 PM
Clarkmeister once posted that he uses a different name specifically because he posts so often on strategy and he felt being recognized would be giving up some edge. When I opened an account at Party, I decided to go "incognito" just for the heck of it. A couple of other posters know my handle there, but I don't broadcast it.

agenbite
09-09-2003, 02:58 PM
I'm the same name everywhere including non-poker sites, e mail addresses, AOL, etc. Only difference is Party, where I'm Stonemonk, due to a fit of incognito.

Sorak
09-09-2003, 03:44 PM
I use the same name everywhere. I was going to make a joke about everyone paying attention to it so you could take all my money since I am a total newbie but I doubt you play the limits I do. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ChipWrecked
09-09-2003, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know some people like to keep "disguised", and I'm curious to hear why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh. No real reason. I'm just weird that way.

"There's no such thing as paranoia. The truth is much worse than you think." -Dr. Hunter Thompson

SirFoldsAlot
09-09-2003, 04:46 PM
OK OK I am "mrryde" everywhere but here. Whewww now I feel better getting that weight off. Say HI to me at UB 1-2 Kill & 2-4 Half Kill and at Party 1-2 & 2-4

Wake up CALL
09-09-2003, 09:04 PM
I play either as Goober on all sites or a variation on one since Goober was taken, I had to use GooberPeas. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jasonHoldEm
09-09-2003, 10:00 PM
david,

To be honest, the main reason I'm thinking about doing it is because I get recognized often and some nights that's cool and I don't mind chatting, but others I'd rather blend in with the scenery and just focus on the game rather than chat.

Also, sometimes chatting with another 2+2'r has turned a winning session into a losing one for me because I was distracted (although that doesn't really happen anymore).

peace,
jHE

Copernicus
09-09-2003, 11:13 PM
I use a different name. I get very specific here about my SnG strategies, and there are some situations where knowing them would give a player an edge.

MaxPower
09-09-2003, 11:48 PM
I was just playing on Party where I use the name MaxPower. A fellow two plus two poster who uses a different name on Party sits down in the seat to my right, types "wrong seat" into the chat box and leaves the table.

I could change my name, but I just love the name MaxPower too much. It gives me a lot of confidence /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a different name on Empire and some other sites, in case I ever want to go incognito.

GuyOnTilt
09-10-2003, 01:34 AM
When I first registered for Party, I didn't think it would matter if I had a different name than on the forums. But now that I've been spotted multiple times by 2+2ers or lurkers, I wish I had chosen a different moniker. I think there may be a slight advantage to going unrecognized.

Brian
09-10-2003, 01:40 AM
Hi Bright.

Sincerely,

--Your Stalker

XlgJoe
09-10-2003, 10:32 AM
I don't have any poker tracking software. But wouldn't it be easier to know how someone plays if you have a bunch of info on him from another site. You could combine the data you have from multiple sites and have even a larger data base on an individual.

GuyOnTilt
09-10-2003, 02:11 PM
Thanks, I always wanted one of those! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

davidross
09-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Jason,

THat is the one reason I think makes it worthwhile to change.

MaqEvil
09-11-2003, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A fellow two plus two poster who uses a different name on Party sits down in the seat to my right, types "wrong seat" into the chat box and leaves the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a benefit to me. I'd much rather have a random party player sit down at my table than a 2+2er. I use the same name just about everywhere; feel free to avoid me ;p

huzitup2
09-17-2003, 04:40 AM
I have an account with the username HUZITUP2.

However, I have different accounts.

(Note that I didn't say at which sites I play).

"2+2" is the greatest thing I'VE found since sliced bread; I've learned a ton here and I hope I've helped others to do the same.

Still, when I'm PLAYING I'm doing so to make money.

Feel free to use any help/information I've posted to do the same - that's why I posted it . . .

But I'm not going to INVITE you to use it against me.

I have a VERY close friend who used to suffer from a huge problem - the word "no" was not a part of his vocabulary.

I tried [successfully] to show him that it was OK to say no to people; he didn't have to do everything that was asked of him.

That's right, guess who was the first recipient of his new found strength ? (LOL, but true)

I TRY not to make the same mistake twice ! :-)

Best wishes,

- "ANONOMOUS"

Stagemusic
09-17-2003, 10:58 AM
Mine is generally the same at all of the sites and on here. The exception is Party where I chose a name that was different just for the heck of it.