PDA

View Full Version : The turn made me. The river was the icing on the cake!

Blue Sky
09-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Loose passive $2 to $5 spread limit game. This table is full of calling stations. Two other "solid" players besides myself. One is the button in this hand the other is the blind. The LP player in this hand likes to "Make Moves" with not so great hands. Most everyone else seems to come along for the ride everytime. Even better they bet out from EP into a PFR. This is a great game.

I pick up Q10 of spades in the CO. Family pot to the button who raises the max and everyone except the blind calls.

Flop comes Js 9d 4s.
UTG bets out $2, everyone calls including me to the button who raises to $7 (just as I wanted,) 4 callers back to me and I 3 bet. Button, UTG, EP, and LP call me.

Turn is the Kh.
UTG bets out $3 (real smart guy eh?) EP and LP call, I raise to $8, Button folds, UTG and LP call.

River is the As
I blurt out, "I don't like that spade on the river." planting the seed in the mind of the LP Player. UTG bets out $5, LP raises, I 3-bet. Both call me.

UTG can't wait any longer and shows two pair J9o. LP instantly shows a baby flush 52s and I took down a pretty decent sized pot.

What do you think of my play here? Any and all advice appreciated.

Robk
09-08-2003, 06:21 PM
I would raise the flop myself, unless I knew a preflop raise from the button in this spot was a lock to be a big pair. You've lost a lot of value if he just calls.

Blue Sky
09-08-2003, 06:39 PM
I was 99% sure the Button was going to raise. She is a Tight Aggressive player who always raises big pairs pre-flop (A's to Q's and very rarely AK) and always will raise to eliminate the field after the flop and especially in this position. I wasn't sure about raising the flop b/c if the button comes over the top of me, I'm afraid the calling stations aren't going to call two bets cold.

banditbdl
09-08-2003, 06:51 PM
If they both bet and raised after your river comment and then called down your three-bet then they are about the best opponents you can ask for. However, if you had kept quiet you might have gotten another raise out of LP.