PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set against a PFR. How many bets?

rtucker5
09-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Good 6/12 home game.

I limp after a weak player in MP with 44. Folded to an aggressive button who raises. BB, limper, and I call.

Flop comes 10 5 4 rainbow. Checked to me and I check knowing the button will bet 99.9% of the time. He doesn't disappoint. Both the BB and the limper fold. I was going to checkraise, but now I decided to call.

Turn is a 2 making the board 10 5 4 2 rainbow. I checkraise and he 3 bets. He would 3 bet with any overpair, he is pretty aggressive. I make it 4 bets and he immediately makes it 5. Who calls and who puts in a 6th bet? Results to follow.

J.R.
09-08-2003, 02:10 PM
I would bet the flop hoping the aggressive player raised. I am assuming A3 is unlikely, so its TT (or maybe 55) that beat you. I would call the 5th bet on the turn and bet the river, calling a river raise.

Bob T.
09-08-2003, 02:25 PM
About 5 bets, I start giving him credit for having TT, and slow down.

haakee
09-08-2003, 03:08 PM
I would bet the flop hoping the aggressive player raised.

I disagree. I'd want to check-raise the field rather than limit the field with a set on a rainbow board.

FR_Mainiac
09-08-2003, 03:14 PM
I would have slowed down well before it hit 5 bets on the turn and gave some credit that this loose aggressive may actually have something that could beat me.

If I wasn't sure he would bet the flop, I would have led out and 3 bet if he raised. Since you correctly thought he would lead out I think I would have checkraised on the flop.

If I were the last raiser on the flop I would lead out on the turn. If he was a maniac I would call his raise on the turn and check called him in and essentially have him bet the hand for me.

There are two many hands that can beat you already to get into a raise war with a set of 4's.....TT, 55, and yes, even A3.

But being in the position you are in now, I would just grit my teeth and toss in the call and pray for the case 4.

FR_Mainiac
09-08-2003, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. I'd want to check-raise the field rather than limit the field with a set on a rainbow board.

[/ QUOTE ]

To checkraise here you would have to be pretty sure the LP was going to bet (which he was) and that the that BB and MP are going to call LP's bet which is not sure thing with this rag board. Though I would consider checkraising, I would still just lead out from this position.

rtucker5
09-08-2003, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet the flop hoping the aggressive player raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

My plan was to checkraise the field on the flop. When the other players folded, I changed my plan.

My feeling was that he would raise my bet on the flop with any hand he would have raised preflop with shutting out the remaining 2 players.

J.R.
09-08-2003, 05:45 PM
I tend to find players with a T will bet here, putting the PFR on overcards. With a bigger field I might check-raise, but with only the BB and a weak limper who checked, I would not be expecting them to call one bet on this monotone, somewhat raggedy board. But you would have had a better read on your other 2 opponents calling tendancies, so I don't fault your play.

rtucker5
09-09-2003, 02:29 PM
I called his 5th bet. The board paired the 2 on the river. I bet into him and he called with A3. Nothing like sucking out!

Dynasty
09-09-2003, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am assuming A3 is unlikely

[/ QUOTE ]

Your opponents do not think and play like you. Sure, it's unlikely. But, only because it's unlikely he would be dealt A3.

I would have called the turn 5-bet an check-called the river.