PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of the bring in....

stickman
09-07-2003, 11:31 PM
A few friends and I were discussing 7-stud when the topic of the forced bet(i.e. the bring in) came up. What is its purpose? We surmised that it was to stimulate action. Any other ideas?

crockpot
09-07-2003, 11:34 PM
basically, yeah. that and to ensure that people actually fold on third street, even when no one has a hand they feel is worth betting.

StudStrategyCom
09-08-2003, 03:07 AM
Strictly to stimulate action into the pot. It would be equivalent to placing the blinds in a hold 'em or omaha poker game.

7stud
09-08-2003, 09:05 AM
The forced bring in effectively increases the amount of the antes. The higher the antes are in relation to the average future bets, the more agressive the game gets. That's because as the antes get larger relative to the bets, you are forced to contest the pot with less than premium hands: if you only waited for premium hands the antes and your share of the forced bring ins would be more than the pots you won.

Then, I guess the question becomes, why not just increase the ante a little bit for everyone instead?

Having someone bring it, initiates the action immediately, and having the low card bring it in stimulates the action by allowing higher hands to hide their strength, and allowing the high card to fold.

Al_Capone_Junior
09-08-2003, 03:21 PM
Same as the blinds keep people from checking before the flop in hold'em. Otherwise poker would be a stupid check-fest.

The reason the low card brings it in IS to stimulate action, since there would be little action if the high card brought it in. Notice in Razz the high card brings it in.

al