PDA

View Full Version : close to the nuts, when to slow down?

ccwhoelse?
09-07-2003, 10:12 PM
when should you stop stop raising and only call when you have a non-nut hand?

at party .50/1.00 i was playing 3 tables. i played about 300 hands.

i made a king high flush three times, only to be beaten by an Ace high flush twice and a full house.
i also flopped a set of queens, that improved to a house by the river and lost to a better set/boat.

is this normal?

8 handed, i get Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif on the button

folded to LP1 and LP2, i raise, SB calls, BB folds, LP1 folds, LP2 calls.

flop is 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, LP2 bets, i raise, SB cold calls, LP2 3-bets, i cap, SB cold calls, LP2 calls.

turn is a 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, LP2 bets, i raise, SB folds, LP2 calls.

river is a 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

LP2 bets, i raise, LP2 3-bets, i cap, LP2 calls.

LP2 shows K /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

in the BB, i have K /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

folded to two MP posters who check, LP1 and LP2 call, button calls, SB completes, i check, 7 to flop.

flop is T /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

checked to 2nd MP poster who bets, LP1 folds, another calls, button calls, SB calls, i raise, 1st MP poster folds, 2nd MP, LP2, button and SB call.

turn comes a 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

everyone checks

river is a Q /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, i bet, MP poster raises, folded to me, i 3-bet, MP caps.

poster shows A /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

in LP i get K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

first four call, then folded to me. I call, button raises, SB calls, BB folds, first three call, MP limp raises, i cold call? everyone else calls. 7 to the flop.

flop J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

checked to MP PFR who bets, i call, button calls, SB folds, 3 more call.

turn is a 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MP bets again, i raise, everyone folds, an EP cold calls, MP calls.

river is a 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

MP bets again, I raise, EP folds, MP 3-bets, i call.

MP had 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG+1 i have K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

i call, 3 more call, SB completes, BB checks, 6 to the flop.

flop is J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets, BB calls, I call, LP raises, all call.

turn is a 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

checked to me, i bet, only LP and BB call

river is a 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, i bet, LP raises, BB folds, I 3-bet, LP caps, i call.

LP shows A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

rayrns
09-08-2003, 08:08 AM
In both of the last 2 hands, I think you should have folded pre-flop. That may have cut your losses somewhat or made a losing session a winning one.
The first hand. You will see someone slow play A's or K's now and then. Remember them for future play. See if they repeat it.
The second hand. It happens. Nothing you can do. Say "nice hand" and move on. It will go the other way and you'll be on the winning end also.

ccwhoelse?
09-08-2003, 11:08 AM
did i misplay any of the hands postflop?

rayrns
09-08-2003, 02:11 PM
Hand 1: If he is raising all your raises, when do you give him a possible holding of pocket K's? When you get to the river and he bets into you, just call.

Hand 2: Not very often should you be raising on the river, when there is a pair on board, with this hand.

Hand 3: Again there is a pair on board.

Hand 4: Tough break comiing up against pocket A.

If you don't bet into the pairs on the river, count the number of BB you could have saved. Saving them is like winning them. I hope I have answered well. If not someone please correct me.

GrinningBuddha
09-08-2003, 06:08 PM
Hand 1: Played aggressively and well. It's unfortunate he limped with KK, it would have thrown me off as well.

Hand 2: Once you bet out on the river after checking the turn, many people will know you've made your flush. When they raise, it's unlikely they can't beat it. I would call the raise most of the time here.

Hand 3: Toss it once it's 2 more back to you. The river raise here isn't quite as bad as the previous hand, but again, I'd simply call here given MP's aggressiveness, unless he's a total maniac. From the looks of the limp-reraise with 76o, he's not far off.

Hand 4: If you can be assured of at least 4 opponents, your limp is fine. 3 betting is fine here, only Axs beats you.

Al_Capone_Junior
09-08-2003, 08:15 PM
K9s UTG? Fold it and you wouldn't have had this problem.

K2s limp on the button multiway is slightly iffy, but I'll allow it. Cold calling two raises cold when it comes back is criminally insane, and you of course already got the max punishment for that one, so you're now free to go.

On the non-nut flushes...

When you bet a non-nut flush, and get raised, JUST CALL. NEVER three-bet anything but a complete total drunken maniac with a non-nut flush, especially if the board is paired! You'da saved a lot of bets by being a bit more cautious.

Don't play sooooooooo aggressively that you lose site of the fact that most opponents (tho not all) will realize what the nuts means, and if they have it. And if you DON'T have the nuts, and they raise you, DON'T RERAISE THEM.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
09-08-2003, 08:18 PM

lockitup
09-08-2003, 08:23 PM
Nothing you can do in hand 1. The LP2's limping with KK had you hoodwinked. Especially when he doesn't limp reraise when given the opportunity. Mystifies me when people do that. I would have played it exactly the same way as you, including the river.

Hand 2 is a clear bet and call situation. Just remember... they can see the board as well as you can. If it's not stopping them from reraising, you should slow down. In this situation, there's lots of ways you can beat. A lot of players will check a boat on that turn, hoping you make your flush so they can go to war. The turn check and river raise should scream boat or nut flush that got there.

Hand 3... I'd fold preflop, but since you called... raise the flop. You probably wouldn't have knocked out that 76o, since he already bet, but you have to protect your hand if a King should fall and the flush doesn't come. Also, you might knock out the Ad who would otherwise see the turn and like it. As to the result, well... the river bet sure smells like a boat. You know he caught a piece of the flop, he bets out again on the turn and calls your raise, so he must feel he has outs. His river bet is begging for a raise. However, if he checks, I'm betting and getting checkraised.

Hand 4... you have to fold these preflop. You're gonna get in a lot of trouble when a K comes and you're out of position. Anyway... why does the button only call the turn and raise the river when there's a flush draw out there? Because he's on it. Every move he's made tells you he's on spades. Take a breath before three-betting and review the action. Again, he sees the board, too. It's unlikely that the 6 improved his hand to two pair. That said, I'd be more inclined to threebet here than in hands 2 and 3, since there's only one hand he can show you that sends him the pot. Player dependent, I suppose.

ccwhoelse?
09-08-2003, 08:47 PM

Tosh
09-08-2003, 09:04 PM
Hand 1: You were unlucky to be in this situation but I still think you can just call the river 3 bet. On the flop he clearly has either 66 or KK. If he had 66 he would be very worried about either KK or QQ and would be inlikely to raise you on the river.

Hand 2: I generally find that people will rarely go to 3 bets here without the nut flush, so in a typical online LL game you can just call the raise.

Hand 3: I don't like the first call, although in passive games its ok, but I really don't like the second cold call.

Hand 4: Muck it pre flop, its a real trouble hand that makes too many second best hands.