PDA

View Full Version : JJ hand from last night. Comments please.

zuluking
09-07-2003, 10:38 AM
I'm BB with J J. UTG (A good solid player) raises, MP calls, LP calls, I call. I would've re-raised against weaker players, but this guy only raises with solid hands. (Comments?)

Flop is 10 J K (Suits don't matter here).

I bet, UTG raises, MP calls, LP folds, I call fearing a UTG K K set. (Comments?)

Turn is 6.

I check (Comments?), UTG bets, MP calls, I call still afraid of the possible K K set. (Comments?)

River is J.

I bet, UTG thinks about it, and folds, MP folds.

What did UTG have? I don't know.

William
09-07-2003, 10:42 AM
Well, he didn't have KK, that much I know /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tosh
09-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Pre flop: I think calling is fine.

Flop: I don't like at all. If he shows me KK or AQ then so be it but 1 raise is certainly not going to scare me from betting. I'd 3 bet this flop without a second thought, unless you are going to raise the turn.

Turn: Again you don't have a good reason to think you're behind so bet/raise.

River: You haven't really shown any strength so I think you can check raise.

GrinningBuddha
09-07-2003, 12:06 PM
I would've re-raised against weaker players, but this guy only raises with solid hands. (Comments?)

Can't say I wouldn't do the same with the same read.

I bet, UTG raises, MP calls, LP folds, I call fearing a UTG K K set. (Comments?)

One raise and you put him on one of the two hands that beat you? Very weak-tight thinking. The only way I'd call here is if I were to either check-raise the turn or bet the turn hoping for a 3 bet.

I check (Comments?), UTG bets, MP calls, I call still afraid of the possible K K set. (Comments?)

This was your chance to catch both of them for an extra bet with a check raise. Is there any reason he wouldn't play AA, QQ, TT, AK or AJ the same way?

I bet, UTG thinks about it, and folds, MP folds.

And now that you're sure you have the best hand, no one wants to play. Unfortunately, that's why you can't wait for the nuts to start betting and raising. He had either QQ, AK or 99 and made a smart laydown.

Bet when you hit your hand, or don't play it in the first place. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TazQ
09-07-2003, 12:10 PM
I'm never calling down a set fearing a higher set just because I was raised once.

Preflop, I'm not sure. Could call or raise...if he is very predictable then I think you have a call. Most of the time I'm raising here though.

Flop, you have to reraise here. There are only two hands he could have that are beating you right now (from what you said he raises with).

If he caps the flop, I'd bet the turn and call a raise while seriously considering reraising.

I might go for a check-raise on the river. I don't think anyone could of put you on JJ with how you played it.

I would have to think UTG had QQ. I can't see AK/KQ folding here, and AQ would be raising. Any set would of capped the river with you.

zuluking
09-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Yeah, looking back on last night, I thought I was too freaking weak. Kinda why I posted the hand, to get confirmation. Thanks.

GuyOnTilt
09-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Preflop: Fine. I'd just call here as well, as I'm not making anybody call two cold.

Flop: You're being much, much to weak/passive with your middle set if you just call here with the intention of check-calling the whole way down. The only reason you'd just call here is to check-raise the turn, trapping MP.

Turn: Check-raise!

River: Keep betting out.

UTG probably had either AK or AA. You put him on top set MUCH too early in the hand. You definitely missed bets on this one. I don't know if he would've called your check-raise on the turn since you said he's a pretty solid player, but MP may have been on a draw or called you down with top pair. You definitely left some money on the table.

BTW, I wish posters would stop saying "suits don't matter" and just post the suits. To me, suits DO matter almost all the time. The only time it may not matter is if the turn completes a rainbow, and still suits may still play a factor in your decisions on the flop. Maybe I'm the only one, but this kind of makes it harder to analyze hands without suits.

ccwhoelse?
09-07-2003, 12:59 PM
AQ and KK can beat on the flop, but you obviously have a decent chance of improving on the turn or the river to a house or better. so even if he has AQ, which is more likely than KK you still have outs.

hockey1
09-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Between this post and your "married" post it sure seems like you're paranoid. Call it the "looking for monsters syndrome". You can't assume that just because someone raises he has the nuts and you should start check-calling with a powerful hand. You should definitely have re-raised the flop. if he caps then start thinking about the set or a straight.

btw -- there's no way he had a set of kings. There's no way he would've folded Ks full of Js based on a single bet from you on the river -- or even if you capped on the river.