PDA

View Full Version : Review: Gentleman Gambler

08-29-2001, 04:43 AM
Gentleman Gambler (3) by "Oklahoma Johnny" Hale. This is a book of stories and advice from the life of Johnny Hale who has been a common face among the low limit games in Las Vegas for many years. Even though I found the book to be somewhat entertaining, I also felt that it is an embarrassment to both the author and the publisher. Hale constantly tells us how he made millions in construction in Oklahoma, how he always wins in the poker games, and even how much he likes himself. As for poker advice, the book contains very little of that but he does tell us to "Enter the game slowly" and throw your first fifty hands away no matter what they are so that you can determine how your opponents play. I found the most interesting part of the book to be his explanation as to why he only plays small limit game. Remember, this is a guy who has made millions. Apparently cheating is rampant at all games including the tournaments so he won't sit down against the teams. Anyway, I don't recommend this text, but again I did find parts of it entertaining so some of you who want something different to read may want to pick it up.

08-29-2001, 09:36 AM
Yee haw! Thanks for the kind words there, fella.

Keep an eye out for my new book: "Gentleman Gambler 2: Let's Gamble." It is a further look into my wonderful and wacky life. I even talk about the time I climbed Mt Everest and when I hoodwinked President Nixon in a heads up no limit game.

Thanks for the support, Mason. When you gonna send me that new Poker Essays yarn? I'm sure it's no Gentleman Gambler, but few books are.

Stay Lucky, OKJohnny