PDA

View Full Version : Shane Smiths O8 book

08-27-2001, 12:39 PM
Hi guys, Has anyone read Shane Smiths O8 book. I think its for low limit O8 , which is what I want. Can anyone tell me if its good , bad or otherwise, and wether they have read it, or have just heard about it.Thanks

08-27-2001, 09:45 PM
The starting hand rankings and the emphasis on tight play are excellent for those who are still beginners. I wholeheartedly recommend Shane Smith's book.

08-28-2001, 01:41 AM
I'm not so sure. A number of years ago I sat down with Dana Smith to go over some of the many errors in this text. I thought it would be good to have a decent beginners text available even if it wasn't done by us. After covering about one-third of the text in a couple of hours we adjourned and agreed to resume in the near future. But I never heard from Smith again concerning finishing the work. So I basically cut them off and have not looked at this text in years. I doubt if any of the errors were corrected (and that includes the ones we didn't get to). So while the book has some potential to be a decent beginners text, you're probably much better off with Ray Zee's book which contains all the necessary beginner material anyway.

08-28-2001, 04:31 AM
THANKS MASON, YOU JUST SAVED ME SOME MONEY AND DISSAPOINTMENT.APPRECIATE IT.

08-28-2001, 04:37 AM
Again, I haven't looked at this book in a long time and my comments may not be applicable today. Has anyone read it recently?

08-28-2001, 07:06 AM
Would Ray Zees book be suitable for someone playing at low limits anyway?? If so, i might as well just buy it instead. (at least i know that rays book would be good)

08-28-2001, 03:16 PM
Yes. It has a Basic Strategy section and an Advanced Strategy section.

09-05-2001, 01:41 PM
Steve Badger's website has a Beginner's Guide to Omaha Eight or Better that I found quite valuable, and it doesn't cost $30.

Though I must say that I own and have read the Ray Zee book several times. It's good, too. Badger has said that Zee is not writing about the same games as he. There is a little bit of difference in the advice, but the Zee book is more comprehensive if nothing else.

I read the Shane Smith book about a year ago and didn't care for it. It was too anecdotal and cutesy. It may have contained errors, I don't know. I know there aren't many Omaha texts out there, but I personally wouldn't recommend Smith's book. I don't own it myself. Not worth it.