PDA

View Full Version : How well did I play this hand?

BaronVonCP
09-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Party Poker 1/2
Pretty typical game, maybe tighter than normal for 1/2

I'm middle position with [ 8h, 8c ]

There's one early limper, and I decide to raise and maybe get lucky and isolate the limper.

3 Players after me, the small blind, the big blind, and the limper all call. (so much for isolating the limper, I realize i need to flop a set to have any chance at this pot.)

** Dealing Flop ** : [ Ts, 9d, 8d ]

So I Flop my set but there's a straight and a flush draw.

Checks to me I decide to bet to test the waters, considering i was the preflop raiser.

I get raised by another middle position player, and then the button caps the betting. It's obvious that at least one player has a straight, and perhaps one is something close to the nut flush. I have seen one of these players overplay 2 pair, so I use this rationale to make a pretty bad call here in my opinion.

** Dealing Turn ** : [ Th ]

I check, MP bets, and button raises. I call here, pretty much hoping that I'm up against some combination of straights and flush draws. When MP doesn't reraise, I'm certain that he didn't have the two pair that I was hoping he had earlier.

** Dealing River ** : [ Kd ]

So the flush draw hits. I check, MP bets (he's very low on chips so I expet him to go all in no matter what he's holding), and Button raises. I'm almost positive that the button has made a flush but I just call. And MP thros in his last chips.

i win with 8s full, MP had JQo (with one diamond) for the high straight and button held Axd for the high flush.

I think that I made a fairly questionable call on the flop.

Perhaps calling is ok on the turn, but i think I should have reraised on the river.

Any opinions?

BaronVonCP balance $115.75, bet $14, collected $49.50, net +$35.50 [ 8h 8c ] [ a full house, Eights full of tens -- Ts,Th,8h,8c,8d ]

Tosh
09-06-2003, 03:28 PM
There are 20 small bets in the pot when the action comes back to you, so you are getting 10/1 on your call. You appear to have 7 outs, so even calling 2 bets you do appear to have sufficent odds to draw against a made straight and the nut flush draw.

Your hand looks like it will be good after the 10 hits on the turn. I'd check-3 bet this turn. Then you can call him down if he caps and if he doesn't bet/raise the river - especially if a flush card hits.

gonores
09-06-2003, 03:37 PM
Preflop: I don't agree with the raise here. I guess a case could be made for it, but thinking that it will get the limper heads up is pretty wishful thinking at 1/2 (your opponents called 2 cold with QJo and AXs...I doubt you were classifying these guys as tight if they are calling with this cheese).

Flop: Calling the cap is definitely not a bad call. You are looking at 7 outs on the turn and 10 outs on the river to beat the straights and flushes...and that's IF you are behind. Even with the cap, I'm not buying that you are behind quite yet.

Turn: Bada-bing. You smash the flushes and straights now. The check was proper, but only because your intention should have been to check-raise.

River: Same thing. You're hand is huge, especially considering the number of straights and flushes that could be out there. The diamond was the best card you could have seen...now the flush will pay you off. Raise at every opportunity...there are too many worse hands that will call or even raise in this situation. If you lose, then you lose.

Robk
09-06-2003, 03:38 PM
You can't fold this hand on the flop. Most of the time your opponents will have hands like JJ, JT, QT, T7, 9Q, KQ, AT, diamond draws, etc. and you will be in excellent shape. Even if you're beat by a straight, you could have as many as seven outs to a full house [three tens, three nines, and one eight] in addition to the possibility of a running pair. The only way you're in serious trouble is if you are against both two pair (like T9) and a straight. Needless to say, this will rarely be the case. On the turn you should make it 3 bets. Your opponents will gladly put in more money with hands that are drawing slim or dead like JT, AT, diamonds, a straight, etc. I agree that you should have reraised the river.

Max Weinberg
09-06-2003, 03:43 PM
On the flop I'm sure you have odds to call the cap just because of the odds on the board pairing. Trust your read, because even though I've been tainted by already reading the results, you're most likely dead on.

So when the board pairs the T on the turn you should check-raise three-bet the button, call the cap when he does it, and bet the river. You've made a good read, trust it, you're ahead.

All the draws are out on the river and if you bet, you'll get raised in a couple places, so cap. If KT, T9, or 99 is out there so be it (I've discounted KK because of them just calling your PF raise, but I suppose TT is possible, however unlikely), but you have a good read on them, so a cap is definitely in order.

You left some bets out there.

BaronVonCP
09-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the comments. After the hand I was pretty sure I missed out on several bets, that's why I came here.

I still have a bit to learn.

Bob T.
09-06-2003, 04:19 PM
You saw a lot of monsters under the bed this hand, but this time they were all there.

On the flop, you need to bet, and if someone else doesn't, you should have capped it. With seven outs to a full house on the turn, and ten on the river, you are going to be calling, even if your opponents do show you their hands, and they have a straight, and a flush draw. The only combination of cards you don't want to continue against, is if one of your opponents holds a made straight, and the other one holds either TT, 99, or T9.

You got one of the cards you were hoping for on the turn, and when you checked, I assumed that you were planning on checkraising the turn. If the flush doesn't get there on the river, this is your last chance to charge the flush draws for drawing dead. If you check reraise, and you are fourbet, then you can slow down on the river, but I think your opponents would just call you here.

On the river, if you had taken action on the turn, you would bet out, and hope that the flush raised you, so you could three bet. As it was, I think that you should have planned on a checkraise, or checkreraise the river, depending on what the action was to you.

Ian M.
09-06-2003, 06:12 PM
Preflop: I really like the raise with 88 in this spot after one limper.

Flop:
[ QUOTE ]
Checks to me I decide to bet to test the waters, considering i was the preflop raiser.

I get raised by another middle position player, and then the button caps the betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say the button caps the betting? Wouldnt it just be a 3 bet here? There was only one bet and 2 raises. Am I reading this wrong? Anyways if it was 3 bet by the button and not capped, you need to cap it. You probably have the best hand here, and even if by chance you are behind to a straight, you would have a lot of outs to improve.

Turn: You have a full house here and you check and CALL? Check only with the intention of raising, even if it is bet and raised behind you. Personally I would bet here, hoping to be raised.

River: Once again I would bet or raise somewhere here. You have a very strong holding.