PDA

View Full Version : AKs in BB, how did I do?

jasonHoldEm
09-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Think I did ok.

Party 2/4

AK /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB

Preflop action, MP caller, MP caller, LP caller, SB folds, I raise, all call.

FLOP: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif, K /images/graemlins/club.gif, 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Nice...but I want to charge the flush draw so I decide to go for a check/raise...MP checks, MP checks, LP bets, I raise, fold, fold, call.

TURN: 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, he raises, I three-bet, he caps, I call

crap...I'm 99% sure I'm looking at a set

River: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Check, bet, call.

He has 66.

AKs is one of those hands I'm never sure what to do with in the blinds. Depending on the field I would say I typically raise with it 50-75% of the time (more against a small field, less against a larger one)...is this a good idea or am I being too agressive out of position?

Also, looking back going for the check/raise was probably a bad idea on the flop...when someone raises pre-flop and then checks the flop it looks unusual...if I had just checked preflop then going for the check/raise would have been better, but since I raised I should have come out betting. (right?)

River call was essentially automatic...I was almost positive I was beaten, but I've seen AQ played the same way he played his set, so I'm not tossing 2 pair for one bet heads up (and he could have had a lesser two pair as well).

Thanks,
jHE

Robk
09-06-2003, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would say I typically raise with it 50-75% of the time (more against a small field, less against a larger one)...is this a good idea or am I being too agressive out of position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not aggressive enough. I can't remember the last time everyone limped and I didn't raise with a group 1 hand in the blinds.

IMO you played the hand fine.

ThingDo
09-06-2003, 01:24 PM
Because I was at the table I'll give my opinion on to why I think you may have played the hand a little too agressive here. While my opinion may not count for much I think that you played it too strong given your opposition. I didn't notice him playing any of his hands too aggressive and he only capped when he had a hand. If it had been anyone else at that table I would have played it exactly the way you did. Against this opponent though I think I would have backed off against the raise on the turn, and check call it down to the river. I think this boils down to just knowing your opponents which isn't always easy at these low limit party tables. Maybe I'm way off base, let me have it

Jeffage
09-06-2003, 01:43 PM
In general, I'd look for 3-bets on this flop by betting and hoping to be raised by a dry ace so I can 3-bet. Thats how you really are going to charge the draws out of position in this hand. You correctly raised three callers out of the BB and then you check the flop. You are very likely to have everyone check (it would be different if 6 people took the flop). I would tend to betout after raising preflop out of position. Otherwise, what are you going to do? Three 6's beats two aces, two kings. Next hand.

jasonHoldEm
09-06-2003, 03:17 PM
Thanks ThingDo,

I forgot you were there /images/graemlins/blush.gif, but now that you've brought it to my attention I think you are probably correct (one of the weaknesses of playing 3 tables is that I still haven't mastered getting a read on everyone...I am getting better though /images/graemlins/crazy.gif).

He was definately one of the tighter players at the table (well, besides us)...another advantage to betting out on the flop...if he had raised me there the warning lights would have started to go off, I would have 3 bet it, but if he capped the flop I could have started to go into check/call mode unless I improved. He wouldn't have capped it without a set on the flop (or AK).

Thanks for the good point.
jHE

gonores
09-06-2003, 03:18 PM
I'll throw in my two cents and also say you should have bet the flop, hoping for the chance to 3-bet. Playing this way keeps in the lesser aces, which are essentially drawing dead to you. I like the rest of the hand, and I especially like the turn 3-bet...top two pair deserves to be 3-bet here. Bummer about the result.

One thing that took me a long time to learn was that a preflop raise with AK or AQ from the blind did not necessarily mean I had to bet out on the flop, or even call a flop bet. Now, I can raise with AK and check-fold the flop if I missed on a semi-coordinated or coordinated board. I know I didn't make that play enough when I started, and it led me to being apprehensive about raising these hands preflop, since in my mind I felt obligated to pump a few more bets into the pot, hoping to make the calling stations fold. I don't know if this applies to you or not, but I'd imagine a lot of people don't pull off enough preflop raises accompanied with check-folds on the flop.