PDA

View Full Version : Do the pot odds justify my staying in this crazy hand?

psychprof
09-05-2003, 11:39 PM
This hand went crazy, so I'll try to explain it as clearly as possible.

$1/2 table at Pacific. I've only seen a few hands at this table, but what I've seen is loose/agressive players showing 96o and J4o at the river. Here's the hand:

I'm on the button and get A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif
It goes fold, fold, bet, call, call, fold, call, and I call.
Then small blind raises and bb folds. Original bettor calls, plus two more calls.
Then the player to my right raises it to three bets.
(I figure she has suited cards and hopes to increase the pot size in case she makes the flush).
I call.
Small blind caps the pot and we all call.
Pot has 24 small bets (house takes 1 for rake).
Flop comes K/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Small blind checks, original bettor bets, and the next player raises, then a fold, a call, and I call.
SB calls, and original bettor raises.
(At this point I put the original bettor on having a T, but I don't think he has KT to make a boat. He was one of the ones playing lesser hands earlier)
Next player caps it (does he have the boat I wonder?), we all call, and 5 people see the turn.
9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif with 44 small bets in the pot.
Small blind checks, original bettor checks, next player bets, call, I call, sb folds.
Original bettor raises, (now I wonder if HE has the boat), call call and I stop that round of betting with a call.
Pot holds 44sbs and 8bbs ($60)
River comes 6/images/graemlins/club.gif
Original bettor bets, next calls, my right folds and I fold.
Original bettor shows T/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif and wins with trips, the other player did not show hand.

My question is this: Given that I had the nut flush draw, and that the table is somewhat loose, was I correct to stay in this crazy hand, where everyone but me raised it at least once?

If you ask me why I stayed, it was because of the pot odds and my gut feeling/read that none of the players had a boat and that if a heart fell I'd have the nuts.

So... was it a mistake to stay in?

Robk
09-06-2003, 01:06 AM
Folding after the flop at any point would be a terrible mistake given the huge overlay you are getting. Preflop raising this yourself might be a good play in this type of game.

Copernicus
09-06-2003, 01:36 AM
In a legitimate game you should get away from this pre-flop not calling the 2 raises after your first call. If 1/2 is a betting fest then A6s is as good as anything else /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Post flop youre potbound to call all the way.

me454555
09-06-2003, 01:38 AM
This is really 2 questions rolled into one. Yes, You had the pot odds to call down the flush the whole way. The real question you have to figure out is weather or not a flush will take that pot. Since you correctly figured that it would, then your calls were correct.

The only thing I would question about you play is smooth calling 2 bets preflop w/A6s. Your something like 11-1(I think) to make a flush w/2 suited cards. You were only getting 5-1 at the time of the call. I know people have been showing down some pretty bad hands, but against LAGs, often times its better to tighten up your preflop hand selection to avoid tricky situations like this one.

psychprof
09-06-2003, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I would question about you play is smooth calling 2 bets preflop w/A6s. Your something like 11-1(I think) to make a flush w/2 suited cards. You were only getting 5-1 at the time of the call .

[/ QUOTE ]

Pre-flop, when I had to cold call 2 raises, I also considered implied odds. I was fairly sure that enough other players would call those bets to make my call justified. I may be misunderstanding implied odds though.

[ QUOTE ]
...against LAGs, often times its better to tighten up your preflop hand selection to avoid tricky situations like this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely, and I left the table shortly after because the betting and raising was ridiculous. I know some of you would love to sit at a table like that, but I'm still too new to this and prefer loose-passive over loose-aggressive.