PDA

View Full Version : Horserace handicapping

08-26-2001, 11:33 AM
As a poker player/blackjack/sports bettor, I'd like to venture into horseracing. Are there any really reliably informative books on this subject? Your suggestions/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

08-26-2001, 12:31 PM
Is Doyle Brunson's book outdated or is it a must reading for a serious student ?

I'm surprised that the book hasn't been talked about since this forum has started up.

I'd like to get some reviews from those who have read it.

Thanks. Mark

08-26-2001, 09:17 PM
WBP,

A book I liked and thought was very informative is "Betting Thoroughbreds" 2nd Edition by Steven Davowitz April 1997. It tells you everything you have to know to get started.

Good Luck Paul

08-27-2001, 11:02 AM
the davidowitz book is the single best primer on handicapping for someone new to racing. But many of the methods are just not practical if you are not a full time player. It will expose you to virtually every aspect of handicapping that exists.

One of the best books that very few people discuss in handicapping is William Scott's Total Victory at the Track. The analysis of form is very useful and more importantly is not used by very many people. This means that you can find overlay horses by the form standards that will not be known to many players. But it is not a beginners book. I have used the form analysis for years and it still works well. The only bad part is that his calculations of "ability times" are outdated in my opinion.

Also it is much easier to make money at poker than racing, so if you have the ability to be a winner at the races you probably have themind and analytical ability to win at poker. If you think poker has fluctuations play the races for a year or two, especially if you are an exotic player.

Pat