PDA

View Full Version : Yikes, I lost with two sets of trips............

chesspain
09-05-2003, 10:47 PM
Just before playing what I had planned to be the last hand of the night in a very loose, passive .5/1 PP game, I remarked to my wife "My 'last hands' always seem to cause a swing in my bankroll." Of course, I was then dealt:

T /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif

Two callers to me, I call, everyone but one calls...eight players see the flop...

7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

4 players check, I bet, next player raises, folded to BB who calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, I reraise, next player calls, BB caps, UTG cold calls two more bets, I call, next player folds...phew!

Turn: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

now I get more nervous...BB bets, UTG folds, I call...

River: T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB bets, I raise, he reraises, I cap, he calls...

He shows 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Did I play that hand like a moron?..if so, where exactly should I have gotten out?...

In addition, some of you might say that if I had raised PF I might have pushed him out, although with such a loose, passive table, I didn't think a raise would knock out many people. I also assumed that in a very loose, passive game, I would usually need to flop trips to win with pocket tens, although I stayed with them after the flop because I thought with all of the money in the pot I would have +EV with my small boat, which then became a bigger boat, which then sunk.

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

kelvin474
09-06-2003, 12:04 AM
First of all, I don't think you want 5h7h to fold when you raise with TT. He is not going to beat you very often- let him put in two bets to make a rare straight or flush.

With that flop, I would imagine any pocket pair will be playing strongly. I think some people would play Ace-big card aggressively there.

Once you make it to the river, and have Tens-full, I don't think you can stop raising against an unknown Party .5/1 player who may have just a pocket pair- you now beat any pocket pair other than QQ.

I like a preflop raise from your TT, but I dont think you did a bad job in this hand. Too bad your opponent flopped quads. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

me454555
09-06-2003, 02:11 AM
Sometimes you gotta give credit where credit is due. Although it doesnt happen often in LL BB just played this hand well. He represented Qx and beat you w/the 7. I would have done the exact same thing in your position and gotten beat by quads.

SossMan
09-06-2003, 02:28 AM
I don't know, the BB called 2 bets cold then capped it on the flop. Doesn't this just scream "I HAVE A SEVEN!!"

Both of these plays do...I don't agree with the other poster that this looks like Qx. I would have slowed down on the river.

Remember to play the hand backwards...does he play Qx like he did on the flop? No. He does play an overpair like that, but he probably would have raised preflop w/ KK or AA. There aren't many hands that you can beat that he would play like that on the flop.

Raising the river is semi-questionable, but probably close, since he should call with the Q, but do you think he'll raise you with just a Q? Wouldn't he just call your raise. I hate the cap on the end.